Skip to main content

SummerRoadTrip_2012 Calgary to Banff

June 29, 2012

The #1 Highway from Calgary takes you up through the Canadian Rockies; they loom ahead of the vehicle for about an hour, then it becomes clear that you have ENTERED Banff National Park where the Canadian Rockies dominate the landscape. It has been my goal for the last three summers to ride Bessie across this majestic outcropping of mountainous terrain; I think the Camaro will be an acceptable substitute!

Banff is the Aspen of the Canadian Rockies; as we roll through the outskirts of town, I immediately feel out of place in my boots, jeans, and Harley Davidson T-shirt (yes, even off the bikes we still wear the gear)....oh, and my jacket, since I find the below 70 degree weather 'chilly.' Seems most of these folks shop at Athleta, Columbia, and Teva.....they all look like they fell off the pages of Columbia Sportwear's most recent catalog.

After a cursory drive through the town - it is apparent from the reaction of most everyone, especially males, on the street that the Camaro is a 'head-turner' - we locate our hotel, then double back to see the famous (yes, you see it in all the promotional photos for Banff) The Fairmount - Banff Springs Hotel. The hotel 
bsh-068-exterior
The Fairmount - Banff Springs Hotel.
opened in 1888 and is absolutely awe-inspiring while possessing breathtaking views of the Canadian Rockies from every vantage point. I declined to stay there however, because the least expensive room is $300/night...and on a teacher's salary, that's a little cost-prohibitive. I have to insert here, that after only 24 hours in Canada, I came to the conclusion that everything in this country is over-priced and expensive. Although I traveled in Ontario for five days last summer, I didn't think the cost of food/lodging/fuel was that bad. Makes me appreciate the States a whole lot more. We toured the hotel, walked around the grounds, and 'oooooo-ahhhhed' at all the trendy shops (ok, I fell in love with a fur lined leather vest in one shop, but felt like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman when she walked into the expensive shop on Rodeo Drive. I looked at the price tag and after a sharp intake of breath, I shook my head at the saleswoman who asked if I would like to try it on...).

The Rim Rock Hotel and Resort was our destination; sitting high above the quaint little town, just across the street from Banff Hot Springs and the Gondola Ride up the mountain. I was immediately happy with the choice; the lobby was four stories of glass enclosed splendor with sweeping views of the mountains, leather chairs, a comfy fireplace (and yes, although it was summer, the fire was lit and I was grateful for it), dining al fresco, AND a free shuttle bus to the town and surrounding area. Bingo! Parking is a premium commodity in most of the larger metropolitan areas like Banff and Victoria, so a free ride anywhere is a good thing.


Main Street: Banff, Alberta
 A stroll down the main street of Banff doesn't take all that long; and if you wander into ONE gift shop, you've seen them all. After about an hour of being in Banff, I wasn't that impressed with Banff, and was ready for the next phase of the trip. The place is crawling with Chinese tourists, snooty French Canadians and just a few Americans. We sat down at one outdoor restaurant because the smell coming from the place was euphoric; it was a fondue-type restaurant with prices starting at $80/per person (and featuring exotic meats such as ox, rattler, elk, and longhorn sheep....ewwww, no thanks)....to cook your own food at the table? Right.....next. We settled on a Mexican restaurant a few blocks off the Main street, that was packed (always a good sign right?) and the food was mediocre at best, but just as expensive. Brings lots of money if you visit Banff.

The gondola ride up the mountain was amazing and well worth the price of admission ($65/each); it takes you to the summit (7500 ft.) of Sulphur Mountain and the views are spectatular (I say that alot over the next two weeks!).Check out the video on this website! After reacing the top, we walk around the giftshop/restaurant area, then stroll around the wraparound patio, enjoying the view. I, of course, am chilled to the bone while my Canadian companion is in shirt sleeves and remarking, 'what wonderful weather' it is. We decide to head back to the resort - my intention is to warm up by the fire - and enjoy the rest of the evening.


Mule Deer-Banff
 After warming up, I venture outside with the intention of completing my daily hour walk.....until I realize the frigid air and the elevation will both take their toll on me real quick. I cut around the corner of the hotel and boom...there are several Mule Deer grazing on the hillside! This is the first of many wild animal sightings that are common in Western Canada. I huff it up/down the trails behind the resort, breathing like I've got a six hundred pound gorilla sitting on my chest, hike up to the hot springs, peer over the edge and see lots of overweight tourists (white as hell) frolicking in the hot springs, dip my hand in the stream flowing nearby and realize 'yes,' its hot! Thouroughly exhausted, I head back to the room to the giant jacuzzi tub, anticipating a relaxing soak....alas, the jets don't work, but the hot water warms me up nicely.

In the process of check out the next morning, we talked with a biker couple that came in late last night (we are still missing our bikes, and it was good to talk with another intrepid couple who were out there 'doin it.'). Get this: they indicated that the Concierge called their room early in the morning and indicated that before they could check out, someone had to come up and 'inspect' their room! Just because they were bikers. And let me tell you, I will never return nor recommend this hotel to anyone because of that. One look at the bikes (about a hundred grand for the two of them) would tell anyone with common sense that this couple was not biker trash and hardly capable of trashing a hotel room...and why in the hell would biker trash even book a place like the Rim Rock Resort with rates STARTING at $150/night?? Please, let's blow this place and begin the next phase of the journey....Columbia Ice Fields, here we come!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co