Skip to main content

Like A Favorite Lover......Only Better



May 16, 2013

Brandon Farms Strawberry Shortcake
I glance at the clock every fifteen minutes or so, anxious for 4th period to end. I hurriedly complete the mundane, end-of-the-day-teacher tasks, grab my bag and practically race to the parking lot.

Since taking delivery of Bessie2 in March, I have designated Thursday as my ‘start-the-weekend-early’ ride night. I rush home, anticipating the evening like I would anticipate the time spent with a favorite lover.....only better. I practically take the turn into my neighborhood on two wheels, scream down the driveway, and as I stumble in the backdoor, I’m peeling my teacher clothes off as I make my way through the kitchen, dining room, and into the bedroom....a swath of garments laid to waste behind me. It takes me about two minutes to transform from ‘Teacher Chick,’ to ‘Biker Chick.’ 

I stop to slather on sunblock, grab my boots, my keys, and head back out the same way I came in, ignoring the discarded clothes with a resolve to pick them up when I return from my ride. I give Bessie2 a quick polish - no self respecting Biker Chick is going to cruise with water spots dotting the chrome.

If the current Florida weather were a women- it would be drop dead gorgeous. The humidity has not discovered us yet, and apparently the Love Bugs’ mating season has come to an end......there were only three bugs who splatted on my windshield all evening. 

The destination on Thursday is determined by what I might want for dinner; tonight I decide I want to ride through Eastern Hillsborough county to Danny’s All American Diner - featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. 

Not Bessie2
If the Midwest is America’s bread basket, then this part of the Southeast - especially Central/South Florida - is America’s fruit basket. The backroads here are laid out symmetrically; creating tight squares of rich, sandy soil where a variety of fruit is grown year round. The strawberry plants lay brown and exhausted atop their plastic coated beds, having produced sweet, succulent berries all winter.  The fragrant smell of cantaloupe assaults my senses around the next turn; the golden globes of fruit laying patiently as a group of migrant workers pick their way across the field, collecting the harvest.  I pass a slow moving pick up truck loaded down with mangos. On either side of me are fields of ‘U-Pick’ blueberries....and of course the citrus. There is always something blooming, growing, and being harvested. 

The backroads near Plant City and Brandon enjoy a canopy of ancient oak trees with intermittent magnolia trees, festooned with Spanish moss; I ride along, sheltered from the hot sun, the air fragrant with fruit and the heavy sent of the magnolia blossoms .....good Karma abounds, and I remind myself what a lucky girl I am to have this love affair with my motorcycle. There have only been two men in my life who could make my heart beat as fast as my Harley Davidson.....and the advertising is absolutely correct...........it IS the most exciting thing I’ve ever put between my legs. My apologies to the men in my life.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co