Skip to main content

Georgia On My Mind

Embarrassing to have only done 300 miles today when our goal,was 6! Didn't get out of the driveway till past noon, roughest start to a road trip I've ever had!

Planned this trip to the mountains for weeks, searched properties we wanted to look at in the Blairsville area, secured a Realtor and we both took today off. Poor Paul couldn't get home from Dallas, one flight cancelled last night, another delayed. He came in at 430a, his luggage stayed in Dallas. After a few hours sleep, and a gallon of coffee, we loaded the bikes, and I fired mine up.....nothing. Battery was dead. Plugged in the tender...waited an hour, while I fussed and fumed, tried again...nothing. Trip to Xtech...God bless Jerry and Xanda...brought the battery home and dropped it in...this time it cranked like a Harley-Davidson should. By now we are both hot (it was at least 100 in the garage), and tired. We decided to ride at least half way. I am grateful however that the battery died in our garage and not 180 miles down the road at the first gas stop. It is much more comfortable fussing and fuming at home than along the interstate or at a gas station.

27 was the usual congestion of trucks and tourists...not a good combination. We hopped on the turnpike to take us to the Super Slab....I-75. Not my favorite mode of travel. It was dense w traffic as was expected for the Friday of a holiday weekend. I cruised up to 80mph, clicked my cruise control on, settled my feet on the highway pegs and we were off. Traffic was passing us like we were standing still! Solid three lanes across...all of a sudden, what looked like an overloaded shopping cart and sounded like a Singer sewing machine, was right next to me...like, in between me and the car in the left lane! Yes, it was a BMW. I love ya Randy Poulson, but damn you guys are different. Before I could find my middle finger to express my righteous indignation, he zipped in front of the car to our left and zoomed in/out of the dense traffic ahead of us. Dumb ass.

We didn't get 80 miles before we had to stop for a cold drink; 100 degree weather, 100 degree asphalt, and my cc kicks out another 100 degrees onto my right leg. The air cooled gel pads we bought for our seats were barely keeping the Swamp Ass at bay. I Was concerned for Paul riding w only 4 hours sleep, poor guy. Normally I take the lead when we drive but he said he was falling too much into a trance following me today and took off ahead of me. Paul has a tendency to speed up, then ever so gradually let up on the throttle....fast, slow, fast, slow....drives me crazy. I use my cruise control on longer trips, if I don't, my 'bad' shoulder goes numb keeping the throttle twisted. Impossible to use it when I'm riding behind Paul...AND I have to listen to those damn loud Rhinehart pipes! My bike is loud, Paul's is deafening.

The ride is hot and monotonous; we start paying attention to billboards and decide on a place to stop for the night.....Tifton Ga., halfway to where we want to be in the a.m.  We swing into a Hampton Inn....there are cold beverages, cheese, veggies, dips, cookies....a veritable oasis amid the sweltering asphalt...home for the night. And we are among the people who genuinely know how to pronounce 'ya'll,' and 'swate Tay.' Tomorrow we will be in the mountains where the cool air will be welcome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co