Skip to main content

Nova Scotia 2015: Headed South

Normally I don't listen to music when I'm traveling on the bike...I prefer the rush of the wind and the opportunity to unravel the thoughts in my head. But today I agreed to run back through the dreaded Pennsylvania, I figured if I was going to beat and slam, I might as well rock and roll as well. So I hooked up my iPhone, stuck in the earbuds, chose Rolling Stones Radio on Pandora....and kept on truckin. Weirdest moment ? I'm listening to Zepplins 'Goin to California,' and decided I needed to go around this huge dump truck I was approaching. I signaled to Paul behind me to change lanes, and as I was moving out around....I read the trucks mud flaps ( yes, really), 'JOHN BONHAM Heavy Equipment!' No lie....and if you don't get the connection between the song I was listening to and the mud flaps....John Bonham was Zepplins drummer who died in 1980 ....which basically was the demise of the group. Now, what are the chances of that connection?? Spooky.


We actually made it out of PA without me using my finger or the F word....amazing. 

July 14th

As we sip coffee in Harrisonburg VA' we watch the weather report...not good. We have been so fortunate with the weather on this trip, but today, storms are all across the South. We pack the bikes and don rain gear to head south...North Georgia is our destination...still looking for property in the Hiawassee area.

It starts to sprinkle just 20 miles down the road, spitting rain, just enough to blur the windshield and my glasses. I-81 runs parallel to the Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park....it is a beautiful ride that I did a few years ago...in the rain. Pockets of mist, wispy clouds, hang in the valleys as we ride along. Rain stops and starts intermittently...nothing to slow is down, just a reminder that we are vulnerable to Mother Natures schedule of events. The Shenandoah Valley is the site of many Cicil War Battles...if you are a history buff, you can spend days tramping the hallowed ground.

We cross the Potomac and the exit for Antitam then Harpers Ferry...kinda wanted to stop and have a look see, but the rain would have made sightseeing a little soggy...next time. We take I-26 south down to Johnson City, the edge of the Great Smokey Mountains....as many times as I've made this drive both on two wheels and four, I never tire of the beauty of the Smokeys. We have to connect with I-40 for a short distance, and I'm grateful it is only a short distance! Trucks are flying on this road and the speed limit is only 60! We hit grooved pavement, with no warning, around Ashville.....nothing like wobbling and weaving with trucks flying all around you! Blissfully, we arrive at 19 & 23S that turns into gently twisting asphalt - minus all the traffic - that winds through the Pisghah National Forest with the Smokeys as a backdrop. Signs for Maggie Valley and the Cherohola Skyway beckon.....but we have 'been there, done that,' so we keep true to our planned route. At Clayton we make the turn West towards Hiaassee Ga., the sun is dwindling and this next stretch is REALLY twisty turny- actually part of The Gauntlet-through the Chatahoochee National Forest. My main concern is deer at this time of the eve...and the looming storm that has been chasing us since we left Virginia this morning. 

The ride through here is incredible, but treacherous when the light is waning ....and I didn't remove my sunglasses at the last stop! I'm just saying a little prayer as I approach each curve...'Please God, don't let there be a deer in front of me!' We finally leave the forest and it's a clear stretch into Hiawassee. Stop quickly for gas....cast a weary eye towards the sky...and hightail it to the hotel. Pull under the awning where we normally park the bikes - have a heated discussion with the bimbo at the front desk about that ( no, I'm not going there), and the wind picks up, blowing rain sideways. We haven't eaten dinner yet and it's already 730- but the pounds I've packed on since the middle of June would be enough to sustain me for several days. Once the storm passes, we wander down the hill for dinner....trees have been blown over all along the road! 


Thank you God for safe passage today; spending the day here looking at property then headed home at first light.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co