Skip to main content

Seattle Day 9 Summer Road Trip 2016

Yesterday I braved the cold, chilly Pacific Northwest weather and road south about 20 miles to the Harley Davidson dealership in Lacey. I couldn't leave the area without the obligatory 'destination' shirt! After buying shirts and a warm hooded sweatshirt, I plugged the address of the shipping company into my phone, connected my wireless headset (one of the best purchases I made for this trip) and eased back onto I5, which is Ten times more congested and frantic than I4 at rush hour! Gritted my teeth, gripped the handlebars until I'm sure my knuckles were white under my heavy gloves, and listening to Siri as she coached me towards the Port of Tacoma.

The folks at Air Van Moving were very nice; taking me on a tour of the facility after I expressed my anxiety over leaving Bessie behind. She looked to be in good hands; lots of other bikes waiting to be shipped out as well. I said goodbye as my Lincoln Towncar pulled up to whisk me away to the Seattle airport. A traditional cab was only $10 less than the chauffeur driven Towncar, so I said, 'what the hell?' After 9 days of traveling on two wheels, I sank into the plush leather of the Towncar, sipped the bottle of water that was offered, and paid no attention to the hectic traffic my driver expertly negotiated. I gave Thanks for safe travel and patted myself on the back for being so good to ME.

Checked into the hotel, stood way too long in the hot shower, then decided to eat in the hotel restaurant...something I don't do usually. My Garden Burger was tasty, which well it should be for $17 and the Starbucks Sweet Green Tea quenched my thirst. I've come to the conclusion that you just can't get a decent sweet tea west of Mississippi. Returned to my room, and promptly fell asleep for the next fourteen hours! I guess my body was telling me it was tired.

I awoke Saturday morning feeling refreshed and relieved that I would not have to travel on two wheels today! Paul arrived before noon; as usual I was 'sittin on 'g' waiting on 'o'' when he arrived, map of Seattle in my hand. We headed downtown on the train to walk around Pike Place Market. Being a holiday weekend, it was shoulder to shoulder people...worse than Main Street Daytona during Bike Week! Had lunch in a funky waterfront restaurant, the Athenean, that has been there since the early 1900's. Excellent cod sandwich made with a slaw topping. Sat at the waterfront park and watched people for awhile then went in search of the famous 'Gum Wall.' Located in Post Alley, under Pike Place Market, it started in the early 1990's. Theater goers who resented standing in line for tickets started sticking their chewing gum on the brick walls...it is now a certified tourist attraction, and the second germiest place on earth...the first is the Blarny Stone. We trekked up several flights of stairs in search of the Mt. Rainier Harley Davidson store...gotta have a tshirt!

After our quick tour of Seattle, we headed back to the hotel and a 3am wake up call for our early flight to Anchorage. Ugh!

Comments

  1. Cool!!! I have eaten at Athenean and played with the gum wall too. There is a really good sandwich shop right off that alley.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co