Skip to main content

Autumn Haze

 My meditation this morning read, "The world has more depth in autumn. So, it seems does my soul." 

My first reaction was bullshit. Then I reminded myself this was supposed to be the quiet, reflective, meditative beginning to my morning, not a contentious reflection or a brow-beating. Fall is a difficult feeling in Florida where it is still 90 degrees, sunny, and lushly green.

I wonder if anyone else feels like everything tangible is just out of reach? Half of the year so far has been spent in limbo; quarantine, shut down, social distancing, open, not open, cancelled, half capacity. Even my students appear as little tiny squares on my computer screen; intangible, just out of reach. 

After a stint in the hospital, I find it necessary to downshift and live in a lower gear. This is not the place I am accustomed to but the place that will keep me healthy. I'm grateful for the ability to recognize burnout before I was completely charred. Setting the world on fire comes with risks. 

In her book 'Simple Abundance,' Sarah Ban Breathnach describes first-degree burnout as "the soul snuffer. It comes from living unbalanced for years; when what was supposed to be a temporary situation becomes a lifestyle." 

"Writing about a writer's block is better than not writing at all."

August 8th was the last time my characters in #Scattered talked to me; they too seem just out of reach. Living in the shadows, afraid to step into the light. Dwelling on the fringes of my consciousness refusing to speak, reluctant to call attention to themselves. I've tried my normal methods of channeling the fictional characters; long walks before sunrise, riding my muse Bessie, awakening in the middle of the night to write....to no avail. My brain is like a runaway freight train carrying a mixed bag of random, non-sensical thoughts. 

My first chapter of #Scattered and the character descriptions were 'workshopped' by my writer's group - The Sister Scribe Circle - in September. I value this group of talented, creative, and soulful women...their opinion matters. The group suggested I rework Tish and Ann as their characters were not exactly 'true' to themselves and I agree. I've lived with Tish and Ann exactly how they are for almost a year now, its proving difficult to 'see' them any other way. I feel perhaps my need to downshift has stifled my writing. Only time will tell.

After a full day of online teaching my brain is fried. Teaching used to energize me, not zap me of my energy. eSchool is a soul-crushing experience for this educator. My mantra is "Someday I will wake up, eSchool will be a bad memory and Donald Trump will not be President."

Autumn ushers in the seasons of celebration, a shedding of the old, a prelude to hibernation and the renewal of spring. 

"The fields are harvested and bare,
And Winter whistles through the square.
October dresses in flame and gold
Like a woman afraid of growing old."
~ Anne Mary Lawler


Debi Tolbert Duggar is the author of the book #RidingSoulo
Available from Bessieandme.com or online wherever books are sold.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co