Skip to main content

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later."

In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media. 

Penny Tours

I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the Michigan border...so that's where I headed! This past June when I decided to ride to Arizona I tossed the penny on my atlas to determine if I would take the northern or southern route west. I've made the cross country trip a couple of times. The penny landed in west Texas (Texas Hill Country is one of my favorite areas!) so that became my route west and on my way back from Arizona I rode the Twisted Sisters (2nd time) in the Texas Hill Country!

Paper Maps and Digital Navigation

Since the release of my book Riding Soulo, I've traveled to numerous destinations to sign books. These trips I have to plan a little more carefully because of time constraints. I like paper maps; I sleep with my trusty atlas by my bed...seriously. Every road I've ever taken on twos is highlighted on my atlas. I carry regional maps on the bike because I'm not a fan of navigational apps. Check out Butler Maps: Butler Maps
In May I rode up to Woodstock, Illinois for an event. I took time off school and committed to being at the event on a certain day...so time was not on my side on this trip. I 'planned' the route on interstates until I arrived in Central Illinois. Then I called my friend Dick Peterson (who loves paper maps like I do) who lives west of Chicago and said, 'Get me to Woodstock without getting me near Chicago!' And he did, on backroads! If you are a navigational app fan then once you plan the trip from looking at the paper maps you can also plug the destination points into your app. I have the app REVER downloaded on my iPhone but I've never used it. I also have the Harley-Davidson app which I have used; mainly to locate a specific address (hotel or restaurant) because I can send the information to my onboard navigation on my Road Glide. Don't even get me started on the quality and reliability of the Road Glide navigational system...it is a piece of crap....But, I find if I send the route from the H-D app, it works best. My maps are reliable, digital navigation is not.

If I'm just meandering and seeking a challenging, twisty turny ride I look at my map. For several years I've been working my way through the Top 100 Motorcycle Roads in the U.S.. If it is a single route like OH 555, the Triple Nickle, then I simply 'plan' how to arrive at that route and ride it. If it is a series of roads like Six Gap Loop (The Gauntlet) in NE Georgia, then I literally write down the turns (write on tape, paper, index cards....) and tape that to my gas tank! I know!!! If you are a digital app fan then go ahead on...plug it in!

I ride a big bike with a six gallon gas tank, therefore I don't have to be too concerned with where to stop for gas. If you are riding a smaller bike I would caution you to know exactly how many miles you can travel on a tank of gas. The only time I have been concerned about fuel is west Texas (traveling from Arizona). I clocked 200 miles between exits on the interstate...and those exits didn't always have fuel stations. 

I encourage you to do what makes you feel comfortable for your journey. If planning every stop gives you confidence then do it! Once you embark on your first long distance road trip you will learn what feels right and where you need to tweek your planning strategy.

Budgeting for a Long Distance Trip

When my two daughters were small we traveled a great deal during the summer months. In addition to my teaching salary I operated a fairly lucrative private tutoring business. The tutoring money was our travel money. Usually the first of July I loaded my Chevy Blazer with all of our camping gear, a cardboard box of groceries, the cooler, the dog and the girls and we embarked on our summer adventure (I didn't do much planning then either...we went where the road took us!). Camping was cheap. Groceries for two 'Tweens was cheap. Gas was probably the biggest expense.

Once the girls where grown and self-supporting I gave up working two jobs! The last several years have been good to me. As an educator, I have 15 weeks of 'vacation' each year. Truth be told, that is primarily why I'm still teaching even though I could retire. All 'extra' funds are deposited into my travel account.

If you plan to camp in your travels on twos...more power to you! I have ONE experience with tent camping from my bike and no thank you. I did all the tent camping I need to do when my girls were young. This blog will not be helpful to you because if I cannot afford a hotel or have friends to stay with...I don't need to go.

Hotels average $100/150 a night across the country. Obviously more or less depending on the geography and time of year (learn to travel to certain destinations in the 'off' season). AND the hotel chain...again, I'm spoiled. I always choose the Hilton or Holiday Inn chains; with few exceptions they are clean, safe, available and affordable. And I use a nifty app called Hotel Tonight. I stop between 4-5pm and search the Hotel Tonight app. The app lists all the rooms in the vicinity that haven't been sold yet at a discounted price. I have my debit card tied to the app, I locate a hotel near me and book the room through the app. Easy Peasy and the rooms are normally discounted at least $30-50 less than the advertised price or the price you will be quoted if you just walked into the lobby and asked for a room. I'm aware of the Bunk a Biker network and I know of at least one person who has used the network. I personally would not.

Gas...figure out how much each tank costs you for your bike, the mileage and your destination. That part is simple math. 

Food is a matter of doing the math as well; hotels offer breakfast and I normally eat a large mid-day meal with a small dinner. Give yourself a per diem if you have to budget closely.

I pay cash or use my debit card for all expenses. I have one credit card with a zero balance that is my bike emergency fund. I also have AAA and Geico Roadside Assistance which I've used twice in all of my travels on twos. Please please please have roadside assistance when you travel.

Gear

I've learned about proper gear the hard way...by not having it! Once you get scraped off the pavement and life-flighted to the nearest trauma center...you learn to wear a helmet, long sleeves, etc. So many companies specialize in gear for women...careful of the 'Pink Tax,' overcharging women for the gear...because we are women. This past trip I gave up my heavy leathers. Too heavy to pack, too cumbersome to wear. Technology has advanced the gear and elevated our comfort level.

This is what I wear when I'm traveling in hot weather: Under Armor heat gear long sleeve shirt with an Under Armor heat gear tank underneath (if I stop to sightsee, etc., I can pull off the long sleeve shirt and just wear the tank), kevlar lined jeans or kevlar leggings (and be prepared to pay $175-400), knee high boots (please buy sturdy motorcycle boots with no more than a 1" heel), wicking socks, a balaclava around my neck, my half helmet (currently looking at fuller faced helmet), fingerless gloves, sunscreen. I'm not a cooling vest kind of girl nor do I wear a bladder of water strapped to my back.

Colder weather: same as above except...Under Armor heat gear, heated vest under my heavy Harley jacket (nylon, not leather), heated gloves, heavier socks, knitted headband/ear warmer.

BUY GOOD RAIN GEAR. Repeat: BUY GOOD RAIN GEAR. Quite by accident I found out Cabela's has excellent Gortex pants, jackets, and gloves (at a much lower cost than Harley). And carry an extra pair of boots for when one pair gets soaked. Yes, there are the over the boot gator things...which I find very dangerous. I don't want my feet impeded in any way by straps and plastic.

I carry a very small 'took kit' in my saddlebag...never used it and wouldn't know how to use it. I also have a set of allen wrenches I've never used. I have roadside assistance, I don't need to wrench my own bike by the side of the road. The most useful tool on my bike is my switchblade that I keep in the left faring compartment.

Safety 

I am a woman traveling alone on two wheels to remote areas of the country. Be smart. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Personal protection is up to you. I have a concealed carry permit and travel with my Bodyguard 380 in a thigh bag holster (except in Canada). I've never felt threatened in my travels. And yes, I'm aware that not all states honor other states concealed carry license. My philosophy is, protect myself first, ask questions or pay the price later.

When I stop at a gas station, rest area, restaurant...I always park my bike with the front end facing out, towards an exit. Never park where someone in a larger vehicle can block your exit. I register at hotels under a mans name...for safety reasons. I don't travel at night. Once I park the bike for the evening I'm finished. I try to stay where there are restaurants within a short walk. 

I trust this information both helps and encourages other women to venture forth and ride SOULO!

Comments

  1. I absolutely love your blog! Just found it today and you've already turned me on to two amazing things, Butler Maps and Hotel Tonight! Hubby and I love long distance trips, especially spur of the moment ones. We are in Texas so I hope maybe to meet you if you are ever in our area!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co