Skip to main content

Women Empower Women

"A woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing. She goes where she will without pretense and arrives at her destination prepared to be herself and only herself." ~ Maya Angelou

I'm drawn to women - like myself - who are free spirits, adventuresome, and authentic.  From June of 2020 to June of 2021 Bessie and Me have logged over 23,000 miles to research my work in progress #Scattered and promote my book Riding Soulo. This past year as I've traversed the country on two wheels, I was fortunate to meet so many incredible women who inspired me!


As Central Florida slowly came out of quarantine in June of 2020 I made the decision to travel west to Sedona, Arizona (not realizing much of the southwest was still under quarantine and closures). My current writing project is a fictional tale; the ending takes place in Sedona and I've never been to Sedona. I wanted a genuine 'Sedona' experience...mystical vortexes, psyches and spiritual healers, a commune with nature and all the other chakra chanting, crystal rubbing, new age stuff (if you are interested, I wrote about that trip in previous blogs). 

Bssie2 in Sedona, AZ
While in Sedona I stayed with Veena Devi, an 'Energetic Transformational Healing Therapist' and 'Classical Feng Shui Consultant,' and yes, all of that is on her business brochure. Her beautiful Airbnb sanctuary helped me focus and 'transform my energy' towards my writing. I admired Veena, in her flowing skirts, chunky (original - made by Veena) jewelry and calm demeanor. She is genuinely following her bliss and recruiting devotees.




Ellie, Gloria, Ronda, and Me

I made the trip to Woodstock, Illinois in May to participate in the Midwest Women Rider's Get Your Groove On rally. Ellie Rains is the founder of MWR and she is everyone's 'girlfriend,' seriously. She is the kind of women I would have like to have met in middle school because we would still be best friends. Ellie is warm, outgoing, outspoken, knowledgeable about all things motorcycles and a champion for other women. Link to their Facebook page: MidwestWomenRidersMWR and if you don't have plans for May of 2022 please join me at GYGO because it is one hell of a well organized party!


At the same event I finally met the intrepid Dee Jones - Momma D to her legion of fans! I've been inspired by her travels on two wheels since first reading about her. Check out her website: Momma D's Magic I love to meet women who are continually re-inventing themselves and proving to others that what we start out as... is not necessarily how we choose to end up. 

Although I read Gloria Tremontin Struck's book several months ago, I had the pleasure of signing books with her at Woodstock Harley Davidson. Gloria is a national treasure. Gloria is the gold standard of women riders. Gloria is the badass rider we all aspire to be. We all need those rubber wrist bands emblazoned with 'WWGD' what would Gloria do? Just when I thought I had accomplished something significant on two wheels - I realize Gloria has not only done it...but most likely did it at the age of 80 plus! If you don't already have Gloria's book please do yourself a favor and check it out: Gloria Tremontin Struck

Vicki and Me

Vicki Roberts Sanfelipo invited me (and Ronda Brown) to join her for lunch in her recently acquired toy hauler while we were in Woodstock. Her road name is 'Spitfire,' and describes her dynamic personality perfectly. She is a registered nurse who started the organization Accident Scene Management: Road Guardians  Vicki has also authored a book as well as featured in a few others. Check out her social media page for more info: Vicki Roberts Sanfelipo Honestly, I could have sat in the warm sun around her inviting little set up all day and chatted with Vicki!



Ronda and Me

Ronda Brown is the epitome of 'gypsy soul' and 'free spirit.' I love her story of how she became Rolling With Ronda ! I enjoyed her energy so much while we were in Woodstock that I traveled to Tennessee a few weeks ago to stay overnight in her snug little RV by the French Broad River and ride the Rattler...in the rain! Who else can I shoot pool with, smoke an illicit cigar, listen to classic rock AND take a hike in the woods with? My experience with Ronda was ample fodder for my characters in #Scattered. 



Paula and Me

As I signed books at Woodstock Harley Davidson that day in May, I signed a book for a woman named 'Paula.' As I'm writing her name I asked 'Where are you from? How long have you been riding?,' and she offered her answers...then she quietly mentioned, 'I wrote a book too.' I looked up and was met with a warm smile from a woman who is also a grandmother - like me - and decidedly without pretense. I was talking with Paula O'Kray who wrote about her experience with the Women's Freedom Ride in her book titled 'Kickstands Up!' Paul is a graphic designer and columnist who writes a blog: ladylovingherlife.com. I ordered her book that evening and read it as soon as I returned home...you should too!


Janette, Me, and Deb 
I recently traveled to York, Pa. to participate in the Mid-Atlantic Women's Motorcycle Rally. I didn't know anyone except the few email correspondences with Cyndi Brant and Angie Shiley. I was truly outside my comfort zone and felt like the 'new girl' sitting all alone in the school cafeteria. Then a tall, fresh faced woman stopped short at my table in the lobby of the host hotel and said, 'You're Debi!' Janette Thornley is a force to be reckoned with (shhhhh...don't tell anyone - she doesn't like the pressure). Imagine deciding at the age of 40-something that you were going to race motorcycles down a drag strip. Then, after becoming a 4X Pro Fuel Champion, you decide to become the first female to be licensed as a NHRA Top Fuel Harley rider. I absolutely love Janette and her story! Check out her Nitro Granny page: Janette Thornley

Donna and Me
Lastly, but certainly not least, is Donna Wiegle. I was literally moved to tears by Donna's story. Donna is a survivor of ovarian cancer and spends her ample energy to advocate for and raise money for ovarian cancer. Her book 'Finding Courage: Navigating Cancer on My Harley' is sitting on my nightstand waiting to be read as I carried it home from the rally in York. Please check out her page: Donna Wiegle where you can find out where to donate to her foundation and order her book.


Just as importantly as the above mentioned women... are the women I've met who haven't written books or been inducted into Halls of Fame or started large successful foundations. The women who have reached out after reading my book and offered positive comments, invitations to 'come ride with me,' and words of encouragement for the journey I'm on. They are the women brave enough to share their stories with me; stories of loss and heartache, small triumphs and heartbreaking tragedies. When we share our stories and bare our souls we help other women to step out of the shadows and into the light. When women admit their fear and demonstrate how they have overcome the fear, it gives other women permission to do the same. We let other women know, 'its okay, I've been where you are and it will be okay.' 

I want to hear your stories! If you have read my book, tell me what resonated with you. If you have read any of the other books mentioned in this blog...tell me how they changed your outlook on life or inspired you in some way.

"Life changes when your goal hits your soul!"




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co