Skip to main content

Summer Road Trip_2012_NannyBrigade

Wednesday, June 20th My niece is a Nanny; her charge is a incredibly cute, precocious little boy who just turned two. My last day in the city, the kids had to return to their respective jobs so I spent the day with the 'Nanny Brigade' of urban Chicago. Mind you, I haven't spent the day with small children in a very long time and I forgot how exhausting, not to mention challenging, keeping toddlers engaged can be. To the parents credit, one of the 'rules' for most of these kids is 'no TV.' Being a reading teacher in high school and I can tell you - first hand - the detrimental effects of TV on children (and computers\computer games). My children grew up with limited TV and to this day, I do not have TV at home. So each morning, the Mommy leaves the Nanny a detailed 'agenda' for the two-year-old. My niece is a college educated, elementary ed teacher trained Nanny....the parents are very lucky to have her, she is wonderful with kids and she is young enough to keep pace with a 2 year old and his daily 'agenda!' We start by visiting the home of another couple who's Nanny is in charge of an 18 month old...we plop the little charges in the urban strollers and set off at a brisk pace for the nearest Starbuck's (yes!) before converging on the free storytime at a local gallery (the 'gallery' had a lot going on:art displays, classes, childrens books\toys, family therapy, massage therapy, a very wholistic place). Inside Starbuck's we encountered another Nanny (they all know each other in this particular Chicago neighborhood)....and I couldn't help but notice these Nanny's are gorgeous....and drive BMW's. I'm thinking a Nanny job in urban Chicago is a good thing. As we leave Starbucks, I see Nanny's pushing strollers from every direction, all converging on the art gallery for storytime, its unbelievable, must be 30 or more Nannys (ok,some might be Mommys....you can tell the difference because of the resemblence). We park the strollers and the Nannys grab available chairs, or cushions and position their charges in a semi circle in front of a bookcase...they've obviously done this before. at the appointed time, 'Miss Deborah' bounces to the forefront of the little ones and introduces herself to the group; she is as perky as you would expect a family therapist/storyteller to toddlers would be....referring to herself in the 3rd person and using 'we' alot with a huge, animated smile. After each story, which Miss Deborah delivers with appropriate drama and theatrics, we sing a song ....and I was relieved to realize that I still know the words to most of the songs Miss Deborah chose. This went on for about an hour - during this time I couldn'nt help but think Miss Deborah had a dark side - why else would she wear a short dress and five inch platform heels to read to children on a Monday morning?? Kinky....but fun. After storytime, we trucked on back to the other Nanny's house for 'swim time.' A great plan since Chicago is in the middle of a heat wave.....the Nanny's fill the little pool, pull out snacks and drinks for everyone, then we assemble in the opulent backyard (a luxury in urban Chicago, so its indicative of this familys wealth), an actual Mom joined us with her toddler and infant for the swim. Wore those babies out!! A healthy lunch (did you know there are these Cheerio-like puffs that are made of kale, collard greens and yogurt???? Yum) and my Niece and I headed back to Will's house for naptime...this is the time Nannys get to turn on the TV and watch contraband programs like 'Peoples Court,' and 'Teen Mom,' and update their status' on Facebook. Next activity is the neighborhood park where they have the little fountains that spray...kids love that!! Lots of activity, including a domestic dispute....after and hour we have to leave (this time I'm disappointed) because of Will's schedule (he has to be fed his dinner before the parents come home so his meal is not interrupted...) and Will is reluctant to leave the spraying fountains as well...alas we return to the townhouse and Will entertains me with his collection of musical intruments (hes really very good, kids got rhythm)while the Nanny logs the days activities and bowl movements into the log on the kitchen counter....I cant help but think of what these young parents are missing. Don't get me wrong, their kids want for nothing....except attentive parents who are present during their formative years. I am an advocate for stay at home Moms (or Dads)...I know from personal experience that a reduction in lifestyle can equal the cost of childcare and a full time parent vs a full time Nanny. But, no one asked me:-) I have a nice dinner with the kids, pack, and head downtown to Union Station for my big adventure on the train.....blog me later for that experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co