Skip to main content

I Knew Better


July 3, 2013

Typical Pennsylvania Road
I always hate saying ‘Goodbye’ to my Dad. He won’t travel since Mom passed several years ago, which means I don’t see him except in the summer when I travel North - or every few years during the Holidays.  I’ve learned many things from my Dad; some of the lessons came hard, some of the lessons were difficult, and unfortunately, most of the lessons were learned much later in life. Had I paid attention the first time, my journey would not have been as rough, and my ability to grasp the many opportunities presented to me would have been easier. As my Dad and I both age, we get a long better, and our relationship had deepened after my Mom passed...for this I am grateful.

I left Indiana early this morning - taking 35S  - the fields were shrouded in a chilly mist as the sun cast a pinkish glow to the East. I was filled with anticipation that I was going to see Frank Lloyd Wright’s ‘Falling Water’ home south of Pittsburgh.  When I selected the route East to Shenandoah National Park, I realized I would be close enough to redirect and finally get to see it. I also realized it would mean traveling through Pennsylvania - something I vowed NEVER to do again on two wheels -  after my experience three summers ago. I rationalized the decision by choosing a route through SW Pa., with the minimum amount of asphalt.

I stopped on the other side of Dayton for breakfast; I’m not a fan of the big chain restaurant, but I was hungry and pulled into Bob Evans. My experience at breakfast pretty much set the tone for the whole flippin day.  I sat at the counter, both for expediency and convenience. The bar was dirty and two waitresses were just chatting behind the counter; I sat patiently - not my forte’ - for way too long and finally asked someone ...’could I please have coffee and a menu?’  The dark haired waitress snarled something in my direction, ignored my request and cleared off the counter. After a few more minutes of being ignored, I suggested loudly that ‘this might be a good place to open a restaurant.’ That got her attention, she slammed down a cup and pot of coffee in front of me, and I inquired sweetly, ‘do you like your job?’  I managed to get breakfast from the other waitress who actually showed up for work this morning with the intent of working. And when Ms. Attitude cashed me out, she actually made the mistake of asking me, ‘how was everything??’  ‘ The food was good, the service sucked. And here’s my ‘tip,’ Sugar, find another line of work.’

Sometimes travel on two wheels is about the destination - its not ideal, but I had already traveled a good portion of Ohio and decided I would hit I-70 and roll East. It would be about an eight hour ride to Falling Water.  Other than the shabby road, the day was dry and the air was cool, Bessie2 and Me made good time across Ohio. Then we hit Pennsylvania (Pa.). No sooner did I cross the state line, than I-70 got WORSE. If there are asphalt roads in Hell, they are just like the ones in Pa.  I connected with 51S and was grateful to leave the super slab......but apprehensive about Pa’s ‘secondary’ roads. This area of the Allegheny foothills is gently rolling farmland interspersed with pine forest. I connected to 201 - following the directions to Falling Water - the road was curvier and the hills were steeper - beautiful! And so far, 201 was in fairly decent condition...then I hit a ‘detour’ sign...not good, not good at all. I ended up in Bowen, Pa., and forgive me if you are from there or still have kin in the area.....what an ARMPIT! That’s where Bessie2 and I hit a pothole - I was dodging several while trying to cross a treacherous RR crossing and BOOM! I thought my bike was going to break in two; I literally stopped and said the ‘F’ word very loudly in the midst of the decrepid downtown. It was at this point that I decided my return to Pa., was the worst idea I’ve had in a few weeks. I got back on 201, determined to find my way out of Pa., and ended up going around in circles in Connellsville. The DOT fills the potholes with loose gravel.....which gets scattered everywhere; imagine dodging potholes while simultaneously sliding on loose gravel - uphill and downhill - and that gives you some sense of ‘riding’ in Pa. It SUCKS!

The House I Didn't See: FLW's Falling Water
I stopped two people, inquired about Falling Water - got two different directions - and one guy looked at me, pointed at Bessie2, and said, ‘you don’t want to take that up there.’ and he was right. I got the iPad out and plotted the quickest way out of Pennsylvania. After endless roadwork - which afforded me the opportunity to ride on loose gravel AND hot tar - I hit 40East. A fairly decent road; and if I didn’t harbor such a resentment about NOT seeing Falling Water, I would have really enjoyed the scenery in this area. 

By now, the sky was darkening and the heavens were threatening to open up and drench me and Bessie2. I stopped to don rain gear - about 20 minutes before the downpour started......I hate this I hate this I hate this. Fortunately it didn’t last long but in spite of the fact it was only 330p, I decided it was time to look for a hotel! I connected with 65E, and looked for the first Hampton Inn...imagine my surprise when I realized I was in Maryland! My arms were shaking so bad from wrestling Bessie2 all day, I could hardly sign my name on the hotel register.

I unloaded Bessie2, stripped off the rain suit and sweaty clothes and soaked in a hot bath for an hour. While soaking I realized that I had not stopped to take a photo all day...that’s sad.

Thank you God for safe travel today.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co