Skip to main content

Bessie2_All Is Right in My Universe


March 16th, 2013

Delivery Date: March 15th, 2013
Odometer Reading: 9565 Miles

I wrapped my legs around all 96 cubic inches of my ‘new’ Road ‘Queen,’ ignored the huge knot of apprehension that was lying in the pit of my stomach, fired her up and rolled out of my driveway this morning. The only way to conquer fear is to ride right over it.

Other than a couple of brief test runs as I shopped for Bessie2, I haven’t been on a bike of my own for ten months; my arms were shaking, I was hyper-vigilant, and had a f*cking helmet weighing me down! Something I promised my daughter; no more Trauma Mama. I cruised the short ride over to my mechanics' shop and when I pulled into the parking lot I realized I had virtually held my breath the entire time!  I climbed off the bike, shaking and nearly in tears, which totally confused a couple of hard core bikers who came out to greet me. 

Jerry and Bobby checked Bessie2 out from fender to fender, proclaiming her ‘a damn fine ride.’ Good, I did good. Jerry said we need to drop it another inch tho, and put an extension on that kickstand....and I mentioned I thought my pipes could be a lot louder....he winked at me and said of course they could. So Bessie2 will spend the first few days of Spring Break at X-Tech.  After Bobby pushed me and Bessie2 back a little so I could take a straight shot out of the parking lot, I headed out of town to bond with my new ride on the familiar backroads of the Green Swamp.

As I moved out of town, the fear started to dissipate and I found the rhythm of the bike thump thump thumping under me soothing, reassuring, encouraging, and familiar. Bessie2 is about 80 pounds heavier than Bessie was; which means the balance is different, taking a turn is different, embracing a curve is different, stopping is different. Bessie2’s frame is larger, the gas tank is larger which means there’s more bike, but the same me....the 14” handlebars help, I’m not reaching over the bike.  Not to mention they are bad as hell.

The wind took the fear, scattered it over the luxurious verdant of the Green Swamp; I allowed the twisty-turny curves to envelop me, trusting my instincts. I welcomed the wind and the sun on my face again; screw wrinkles, no one gets out alive anyway!  I reveled in the ride through the orange groves; the air heavy with the scent of orange blossoms - flavored oxygen. By the time Bessie2 and I hit 140 clicks, we were one. 

I turned down Old Grade Road - which is newly paved - and I thoroughly explored sixth gear (I’ve never had one of those!) and when B2 hit 80, I let out a ‘Yeehaw’ at the top of my lungs, and I cried. I cried tears of joy, frustration, fear, and relief. The accident did not rob me permanently of my passion, only stalled my joy for a few months. 


My shoulder - the one injured in the accident - was screaming, my neck was torqued from the tension I held, and my hips were aching...time to head home.  I rolled into my driveway, maneuvered B2 into her spot, checked the odometer - 196 miles - switched off the ignition and said my prayer of ‘thanks.’  I unfolded myself from the bike, straightening out the kinks, getting my balance, and still hearing the roar of the bike ringing in my ears. My soul has been nourished. I have nearly conquered that fear and have substantially dissolved that knot of apprehension in the pit of my stomach. It’s more like several butterflies, now flying in formation.

As I gently rubbed  the bugs off the chrome with a soft cloth, I had forgotten how ‘Zen-like’ polishing a bike has always been for me. It’s a spiritual connection as you restore the chrome to it’s unblemished shine; I see my face reflected in the chrome and realize its aglow, smiling.....having fallen in love all over again with my two-wheeled alter ego. The planets have aligned once again. All is Right. All is Good in my Universe. Thank you God.

Comments

  1. Sounds like you are truly "Back in the Saddle Again!" I'm sure that song will be going through your mind as you take B2 out next week. Ride Safe & Ride Smart!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co