Skip to main content

I Am Grateful For the People I Meet Along the Way


July 5, 2013

“Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.”  Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson's Monticello

I like that quote a lot. Bessie2 and I headed out to Monticello - just outside of Charlottesville Virginia - early this morning. The drive up to the grounds is beautiful; in fact, everything about Virginia that I have seen so far is beautiful. As I negotiated a safe place for Bessie2 in the gently rolling parking lot (finding a level spot was not easy), and climbed off....I noticed a woman who had parked just beyond my spot, climb out of her Prius and head for the reception area...we greeted each other with ‘Good Morning.’

I love history, and I make each road trip an opportunity to learn more about this diverse country of ours. I’ve always loved the Colonial period in U.S. History; Thomas Jefferson, John Adams...the Founding Fathers biographies are fascinating reading, Jefferson in particular. I purchased my ticket - dismayed to learn that the first tour available was 1245p - and sat down to wait on the first shuttle. I glanced over and there was the woman who I spoke to in the parking lot. 



When the tour guide arrived - I pleaded my case and she was so kind, she allowed me to do the 9am tour instead of the 1245p - thank you!! We were standing in the queue for the shuttle and the guide started asking where everyone was from....long story short, the ‘woman’ revealed that she was originally from the Chicago area but had been on the road for ten months....well, immediately, I honed in on that, introduced  myself and we were instant friends, Sisters in Sojourning. Her name is Pat and she has a blogspot I want you to visit:



Pat and Me: Monticello
We are intrepid, kindred spirits; Pat retired, who is 70, sold her house (mine is on the market!), put all of her worldly possessions in storage, and hit the road ten months ago. She is a member of the Unitarian Church which provides a network of homes other church members can stay in while they travel...how cool is THAT? The Presbyterians don’t do that.....that would be too much like a commitment for we Presbyterians ....I vowed to check out the Unitarian Church however. Pat travels in a Prius named ‘Patience,’ when the tour guide asked me if my motorcycle had a name....duh, I indicated she was known affectionately as Bessie(2). I rarely meet other women who are out there doing what I’m doing...solo...it was exhilarating to meet Pat and hear her story of the ‘open road.’ We are both working from the same book by Nat Geo; The Top 100 Most Scenic Drives in America...Pat has probably completed more in “Patience” than I have on Bessie. 

I spent a lovely morning touring the grounds of Monticello with Pat while comparing travel notes. We exchanged contact information and vowed to keep in touch; Pat promised to come to Florida and I promised to give her a helmet and take her on tour with Bessie2 and Me! It feeds my soul to meet women like Pat. Keep on Truckin’ Sister! We will meet again.

Vegetable Gardens Monticello
My only disappointment about Monticello (and Appomattox)....was the absence of school-age children. Mostly people my age and older touring the grounds. Its a shame; I’m guessing the Magic Kingdom was bursting at the seams today....all the kids clamoring to see the Hall of Presidents with the animatronics and holograms...too bad their parents didn’t take them to Monticello or Mt. Vernon where real-live Presidents walked the Halls.  I love to see History come alive; it is hallowed ground, to visit places like Monticello, Petersburg, Fredericksburg....And my favorite part was Jefferson’s private study, his ‘book room.’  I bought a T-shirt with his quote, ‘I Cannot Live Without Books.’

I took 20 South towards Appomattox and the road was fabulous. They say ‘Virginia is for Lovers,’ but I can confirm it is also for bikers....and if you are a Biker/Lover then the state is custom made! Back roads are more hilly than curvy here; the kind of rippling hills that give you a ‘tummy tickle’ going up and down....I found myself wanting to just squeal, ‘Wheeeeeeeeee’ all the way down! Way too much fun. Sky was blue, white billowy clouds, warm sun, gently rolling pasture/farmland, and great asphalt....it just doesn’t get much better. 
McLean House Appomattox Court House


The Appomattox Court House National Historical Park is just and hour or so ‘down the road’ from Monticello - the whole area is rich in Colonial history, lots of Civil War battlefields.

Appomattox is significant in that “On Palm Sunday (April 9), 1865, General Lee's surrender (to General Grant) at Appomattox Court House, Virginia signaled the end of the Southern States attempt to create a separate nation. It set the stage for the emergence of an expanded and more powerful Federal government.”  The village has been restored and volunteers in period clothing give guided ‘living history’ tours of the grounds. They stay ‘in character’ and discuss the life and times of the inhabitants during the Civil War.  


And for the first time in at least 24 hours, I heard...’did you ride that thing all the way from Florida??’ 

I spent a few hours roaming the grounds and taking photos; the sun was HOT....but the area is quiet - again, I come from the land of giant theme parks and a bazillion tourists, my expectations for ‘attractions,’ are a little skewed. The kind of hot summer quiet where you actually hear the bees buzzing, the butterflies flapping their wings, and a dozen different birds serenading. I enjoyed my visit to Appomattox. 

And Ed...here is the little bit of trivia I found interesting...and enlightening: “The surrender occurred in the village of Appomattox Court House, Virginia in a private home owned by the McLean family. In Virginia many of the towns which were county seats were called "Court House". The building is spelled courthouse (one word) and the town is Court House (two words).”

Bessie2 and I packed it in, rolled on down the highway, and starting looking for a place to ‘land’ for the night. It was an incredible journey today, Thank You God for safe travel.  We begin our ‘descent’ towards Florida tomorrow, its time.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co