Skip to main content

Bssie2: Retired

How does a grown woman get so emotionally attached to an 800 pound hunk of steel? Easy. My '09 Road King - and before that, my '02 Heritage Softail - was the vehicle that delivered me to a new way of life; a life with no restraints, a life of confidence, independence, and joy. My motorcycle has transported me on a spiritual journey that I have never been able to experience in a church, in prayer, at a retreat or in meditation.  

Bssie2 was the bike that delivered me from physical pain, isolation, depression, and anger after my accident on Bssie1 in April of 2012. After being scraped off the pavement and airlifted to the nearest trauma center, I spent 11 months recovering emotionally and physically; literally learning to walk straight again. Bssie2 was my salvation. I was terrified to get back on a bike, but knew I did not want to give up riding. I embarked on my first solo trip astride Bssie2 in the summer of 2013, determined to tackle some of the most challenging roads in the southeast in order to get my confidence back and relearn the skills I knew I had mastered. And we did. She did not fail me.

Bssie2 has carried me cross country - east coast to west coast - twice; solo. We have climbed mountains, spanned bridges, endured the heat, embraced the wind, weathered storms, withstood frigid temperatures, dodged potholes, navigated gravel roads and inhaled the salty air of multiple coastlines. We have watched the sun come up from some of the most breathtaking vistas in the country and upon arriving at our destination, we said a prayer of gratitude for safe travel as we watched the glorious sun setting on yet another stunning landscape. You don't travel 75,000 miles with someone - or something - and NOT get attached. I've often patted her gas tank much the same way you would pat the flanks of a horse to demonstrate affection or 'good job!' Crazy. I know. 

Bssie2 has waited patiently by the side of the road while I snap photos. She has never once asked "are we there yet?' or "how long are we stopping?" She doesn't mind sitting in the hot sun while I seek the cool A/C for a brief respite. Same with the pouring rain or frigid cold. She doesn't care where we sleep and she doesn't mind running 5-700 miles a day. My motorcycle has always been the one travel companion who doesn't complain. Ever. 

Bssie2 has been a road warrior but like all warriors their time on active duty eventually comes to an end. The breadth and scope of our time together is mind-boggling. And more so than Bssie1, she was the catalyst for writing my first book 'Riding Soul-O.' She was my muse. 

For the past year I have contemplated a new bike. As is usually the case with mechanical beasts, the need for extensive repairs outweighs the emotional need I have to keep Bssie2. It's just not prudent. I have half-heartedly been shopping for a new bike for several months and will ramp up my efforts as I will not go very long without two wheels underneath me!  

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." ~ Dr. Seuss

Debi Tolbert Duggar is the author of 'Riding Soul-O'
Part memoir, Part travelogue, Part spiritual salvation
Available at Bessieandme.com and online wherever books are sold

Comments

  1. Debi, I get your attachment to Bessie 2. While I've not traveled near as extensively as you, my Baby Blu (2008 Dyna LR) was, and still is, my therapist, my escape, my best friend. I got back into riding after a 40 year break when my sweet husband passed. Without Baby Blu, and my fur (cat & dog) & feather (parrot) babies, not sure where I'd be today. She's given me the opportunity to meet many nice people along the way too. At times, especially when major repairs needed, I think about upgrading, however not ready to yet. She helped me thru the most devastating time in my life.

    Good luck in your search for a Bessie 3 and more adventures. 🧡

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co