Skip to main content

Cultural Labels

"I am a woman with thoughts and questions and shit to say. I say if I'm beautiful. I say if I'm strong. You will not determine my story—I will."  ~ Amy Schumer

If you follow my blog you know I generally write about something that has set my brain on fire. Yesterday I spent five and a half hours in a Harley-Davidson dealership buying a new bike. I LOVE this dealership; the people are warm and friendly, the atmosphere is warm and fuzzy and the whole experience was positive. This blog post is not about THEM, it is about the culture of LABELING human beings, especially women. 

"Female biker"
We don't say, "Male biker."
Same with "Female President," "Black Athlete," "Lesbian Soccer Star," "Gay Presidential Candidate (I mean, we don't say "Heterosexual Presidential Candidate), and "Autistic Artist." Too many labels. Labels limit human potential. I see it everyday in public education, but that's a whole 'nuther blog post!

Giant mural on the wall of the dealership...all "male bikers." I said, "You know you really need to change that up and add some badass women to that mural." 
Standing at the parts counter, large photograph of a half-naked pin-up girl on a vintage Harley. I said with a generous smile on my face, "you know that photo might offend some women who are standing here buying parts for their bike." The young kid behind the counter was a little flustered until the 60-ish, scruffy-bearded male biker behind me quips, "Yeah, it offends me too. Who would ride that bike!?"
Then the young kid (27 yo) looked at me and said, "Yeah, that's just the culture."
If a 27 yo can dismiss the sexism within the biker community, how will we ever CHANGE the culture?

The most recent data (Motorcycle Industry Council) indicates women riders comprise only 20% of the total riders. That's disappointing. But it explains the reluctance within the industry to change the culture. The industry must continue to sell to the 80% who are 'male bikers.' 

How long will women exist in the 1" wide margins at the edge of the biker culture? Since the dawning of Harley-Davidson in 1903 women have persevered in riding motorcycles; a fearless, pioneering few who were drawn to the adventures two-wheeled travel had to offer. My own hero, Bessie Stringfield. Ava and Effie Hotchkiss, Dot Robbins, and the indefatigable Gloria Tremontin Struck (who just turned 95 years young and the culture has not changed in HER lifetime). The big rallies and bike events continue to be a testosterone-fest catering to men. OKAY. I'm not a prude; I can hang out at Froggy's on Main Street and stuff dollar bills into cleavage too. But when will the Chip n Dale All-Male Revue get their turn on the stage at Froggy's? If women riders continue to accept the rhetoric, "Yeah, that's just the culture," then we are selling ourselves short. We are buying into "his-stories" instead of weaving "our-stories."

“We are weaving her-story into reality.Unweaving the limiting his-stories. Creating our-story." ~ Lucy H. Pearce, Burning Woman

Change happens slowly otherwise it would be called 'revolution.' I don't think a revolution in the streets will change the biker culture. It might be awhile before I can stand at the parts counter and gaze lustily at a scantily clad Jason Momoa straddling a vintage Harley. 

Women riders need to speak up at every opportunity. And do so in a manner that is sincere; an attitude that says 'I'm confident in my skills and I want you to do a better job of representing women who ride.' Standing in a dealership, look around. Make a comment to the GM if the wall art doesn't represent YOU. I believe they WANT to hear from us, otherwise the male-biker-culture will never change.  If you are an event coordinator, look at your demographics. Are twenty-something girls in string bikinis bending suggestively over a soapy bike going to appeal to the women in the crowd? Will all pink T-shirts, bandanas and gift bags appeal to the majority of women?  I love Garage Nights; there are not enough of them! 

If you are a woman who rides, examine where you stand on this issue. If you want better representation within the biker community, then ask for it. We bear the responsibility of speaking out in order to change the culture.

"Each time a woman stands up for herself, without knowing it possibly, without claiming it, she stands up for all women." ~ Maya Angelou


Debi Tolbert Duggar is the author of 'Riding Soulo'
Part Memoir, Part Travelogue, Part Spiritual Salvation
Available at Bessieandme.com and online wherever books are sold

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co