Skip to main content

#MeToo

#MeToo

 

His practiced hand moved along her naked body

Lying on the paper covered table

In the minuscule exam room

 

His hair gray, his black frame glasses, perched on the tip of his nose

His melodic voice murmured to her Mother

As his fingers penetrated her tiny vagina

 

She lay frozen, her seven-year-old brain screaming

NO

Her seven-year-old body unable to resist

 

A hard nugget of shame

Lodged in her gut, took up residence in her head,

Made its home in her soul that day

 

A seven-year-old cannot define shame

A seven-year-old cannot protest when

The person she trusts the most stands by…mute

 

She mocked what the good doctor did

She laughed that he probed her vagina…a word she could not utter

And her Grandmother was the only one horrified

 

Afterward, the shame grew larger

It would happen again despite her protest

It would happen again despite the woman she trusted

 

It would happen again in the home of a trusted friend

While her son took his perverted pleasure

She made love to her tonic and gin

 

It would happen again because she deserved it

It would happen again because she was unworthy

It would happen again because she allowed it

 

The shame was woven into the very fabric of her psyche

As she grew older, the shame defined her

And she fed the beast in a spiral of drugs, alcohol, and more shame

 

Decades of self-abuse was the only relief, the only form of repression

Her soul screamed for redemption

Her soul lay in wait for a time when redemption was possible

 

#MeToo was the liberator

Bold women who finally gave voice to her shame

Courageous women who faced the beast, called it by name

 

#MeToo is the sword with which we slay the beast

Two little words that unite a legion of combatants

Two little words that start a revolution of redemption


*********************************************


I was finally able to write these words when the #MeToo movement swept across the country not long ago. Prior to that, the words stayed stuck in my tattered soul. When one woman gives voice to the assault, the abuse, the violation, it gives courage to other women who have been sexually assaulted to finally vomit up the bile. 


Many will ask, "Why now?" And I will replay, "Why not now?" For many years I drowned the shame with alcohol. It was never enough. The shame spiral doesn't end; memories, alcohol, regret, alcohol, revulsion, alcohol, fear, alcohol and on and on until you spiral down so far you finally reach bottom. Then somewhere, there is a tiny voice that whispers 'enough.' And you begin to claw your way out of the spiral. You begin to shout 'enough' instead of whisper. I finally grabbed my closest confidant, Ann, sat her down and said 'I need you to hear this story.' And I gave voice to the violation of my seven-year-old self. I gave voice to the anger and shame, my words an emollient to my baby soul. My friend Ann listened without judgment, tears in her eyes and when it was over, when I felt purged of the demons long torturing my soul, she hugged me close and said, 'Me too...'




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co