Skip to main content

Always Go With the Choice That Scares You The Most!


June 25, 2013

Summer Road Trip 2013_Day Five

“Always go with the choice that scares you the most. Take the road that has more curves, because these are the choices that are going to require the most from you. Never stop challenging yourself.”  Check.

I tackled The Gauntlet and Slayed (or is it Slew??) the Dragon ....all before noon today.  Since leaving home on Friday, Bessie2 and I have racked up 1200 miles, and its all good.  My anticipated partner for the ride in Georgia today just wasn’t an early enough riser....sorry, its daylight, Bessie2 and I are rollin....we will catch you on the trip back South Curt.

Gray clouds were heavy in the Georgia mountains this a.m. as I packed Bessie2; I needed  to complete the ‘other half’ of The Gauntlet before I left though. I said ‘goodbye’ to the group from Louisiana, checked the room twice for any ‘leave behinds,’ and bid farewell to the Copperhead Lodge early. My ONLY complaint with the accommodations here? The coffee situation; it was dreadful. The Lodge is in the sticks, so its not like you can walk across the street to the 7-11.  Accommodations here are not exactly cheap either, so why not coffee in the rooms guys??

My favorite part of the Gauntlet this morning was Wolf Pen Gap Road (180)...my least favorite part of the morning was the BMW’s (not the group I had breakfast with yesterday).  I appreciate the fact that there are all types of bikes and all types of bikers; what I don’t appreciate is when YOUR agenda on your bike jeopardizes MY safety on my bike.  Narrow mountain road, 20 mph blind curves, double yellow lines.....and these dumbasses are PASSING me.  20 minutes later, I see the whole grouped STOPPED at the Wolfpen Gap Country Store....the biker trash in me slowed down and wanted to stop to tell the whole group that they were world class dickheads, the educator/mother in me said ‘keep moving, don’t make it an issue.’ I hate it when she wins.

Completed the ‘other half’ of the ride, gassed up, checked the map, and headed north on 129 to Slay the Dragon.  129 between Blairsville, Georgia and Murphy North Carolina is a wonderfully meandering highway. Large strips of asphalt are lined with the most gorgeous tiger lilies; different shades of yellow and orange, that ripple in the breeze and seem to bow as we pass. And the hydrangeas!! I love hydrangeas and I’ve seen the most gorgeous bushes in every conceivable color of blue, purple, and pink! Fabulous explosions of color.

Before I really realized where we were...Boom, I was at Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort.  This strip of asphalt boasts 318 curves in 11 miles and attracts motorcycle enthusiasts from all over the world. It IS fun, it IS challenging...but its NOT the most challenging road I’ve been on......but, ya gotta do it, and check it off the ‘Bikeit List!’ And I realized that I NEED a helmet-cam....I’m not sure why I don’t already have one, but we will. I’m posting some Youtube video links of other Road Kings ‘doing the Dragon...check it out! The first one is 'how to sharpen your floorboards!!'



I felt a huge sense of accomplishment after the ride today; considering where I was a year ago after the accident. I navigated 129 North to Maryville....its a beautiful ride......where I stopped at Poncho’s for a Mexican lunch. The food was wonderful; then I braced myself for the scourge of traffic I knew was coming as I approached 75North and Knoxville.  I dug out the iPod, popped in the earbuds, and cruised North, rockin, rollin, and flirting with the truck drivers....not sure WHY, but a girl on motorcycle seems to be a big deal to truckers. And I have to admit, the BESt compliment Bessie2 and I received all week was when the owner of the lodge told me, ‘that’s a badass Chick Bike ya got there!’ You know it.

Comments

  1. Glad to meet you Debi and happy we could get your girl to hold her fluids lol leaks are not good! Have a safe trip and absorb the mountain beauty call if you need something and call anyway! ride safe watch out for the fireants (metric bikes)ha
    Curt Dempsey www.straightcount.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co