Skip to main content

If I Hear Banjo Music I'm Outta Here!


June 24, 2013



Curt Dempsey: Straight Count Choppers

First I felt the gas splash in my face - not good - then I saw the transmission ‘smoking,’ - not a good thing either...and so the morning progressed from there.

The BMW group invited me to join them for breakfast this a.m., what a great group of people! and there was a GIRL with them....you go Maria! We chatted amiably about usually being the only girl in the group. After a wonderful breakfast and even better company (one of the riders had been on the North Shore of Lake Superior and we compared ride conditions in that area and the few hotels available); Bob voiced a desire to ride the Gauntlet with Michelle and I ...so we bid ‘adieu’ to the rest of the crew and Bob and I headed back to the lodge.   I was REALLY looking forward to the Gauntlet today!

Once I felt the gas splash in my face, I turned into a parking area; bless Bob’s heart, he was all over the problem for me trying to determine if the gas splash and the oil leaking were connected! And those BMW guys have EVERYTHING on those bikes! Meanwhile, I called Michelle back at the lodge and she got her local mechanic on the phone (nearest HD dealership is 75 miles away...) who literally showed up in 20 minutes! 

Biker people are the BEST people; no one is a stranger if you are on two wheels. I have rarely had a problem on the road - considering all the miles I’ve logged - but the few times I’ve needed help, there has ALWAYS been another biker who has come to the rescue. I just hope I have the chance to ‘pay it forward’ someday.

Curt - the mechanic - and his friend (visiting from Florida) checked the gas thing - let me just say not only does Curt have the most gorgeous blue eyes and mega watt smile, he has a keen sense of humor. He suggested I save 30 or 40 cents and NOT fill the tank as full as I had it; apparently the ‘flow’ wasn’t working - I already knew my flow was off this morning - and gas sorta ‘burped’ out of the cap. ‘So that has nothing to do with the oil leaking right?’,  I say optimistically. Right, Mr. Blue Eyes confirms. “Why don’t you follow me back to my shop and I’ll put it on the lift and check it out.” I convince Bob I’m going to be just fine and he should catch up with his group - thanking him profusely for helping me out - and say ‘so long!’ 

So here I am following two total strangers through the backwoods of Georgia with an ailing motorcycle....I swore if I started hearing banjo music, I was outta there, oil leak or not! Curt told me, ‘there are lots of twists and turns to my house,’ its ok Curt, I got this...then he said, ‘well, its a gravel road - downhill - to the shop.’ So I said, ‘Its ok Curt, stop at your gravel drive and YOU can ride my bike down for me,’ and he was all about that. I’m expecting some mountain shack with various rusted vehicles littering the property...I was pleasantly surprised - no, relieved - to find this charming little biker outpost, log cabin style, complete with the sweetest Golden Lab - Chopper - you would ever want to meet.  

Curt and Chopper
I sat and chatted with Curt while he completed the repairs on the bike he had on the lift - turns out he is from Stuart Florida - long story, but we were aware of all the commonalities between us. Started  his little shop in the mountains as a ‘do over,’ and he seems to do well. Rather than stand and watch him work - which I wouldn’t have minded at all, but its really not cost effective - he called the owners of the lodge and they came and picked me up! What GREAT people; I’m just so loving Georgia!

So I cooled my heels - not my forte’ - back at the lodge, realizing the gas-thing was probably a God-thing because had I embarked on the Gauntlet with the oil leak-thing...we would have been on a twistie turnie in the middle of no where, and I probably would have fried my V-twin.  

Curt calls with the ‘good news,’ he tightened several screws (among a variety of other checks), rode it for a few miles and determined it ‘fixed.’ He is my hero today. He even said, ‘stay put, I’ll come get you!’ This I didn’t mind at all; we had a great chat on the ride back to his shop - in fact, we determined, if one of us were going to be around tomorrow, it would be nice to get together for a more ‘social’ opportunity and not because one of us has an oil leak-thing. 

I vowed to return; meanwhile I’m here to ride....so Curt suggested I ride up Brasstown Bald (weird name I know) which is the highest point in Georgia. He gave me directions - careful to mention that ‘if you get lost, call me’ - and Bessie2 and I headed up the mountain. It is a beautiful ride - headed back down however, the heavens opened up and drenched me and Bessie2 - literally. I started to wonder if Curt’s offer would apply to ‘getting soaked’ as well as getting lost. We got to the bottom and boom - dry as it could be....we headed back to Blairsville - but not after rounding a curve and seeing a doe just on the edge of the asphalt....stay there please God stay right there do NOT leap into my path...phew! That’s all I needed today was to slam into a deer!

I am a lucky girl; and I am grateful for the people I meet along my journey. Before I was able to post this blog - Curt called to 'check on me,' and suggested we ride the Gauntlet tomorrow before I leave....yeah, I'm a lucky girl.


“Other people can talk about how to expand the destiny of mankind. I just want to talk about how to fix a motorcycle. I think that what I have to say has more lasting value.” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co