Skip to main content

"It Ain't About the Miles; It's All About the Smiles!"


June 23, 2013

Summer Road Trip 2013_Day Three

 To quote my friend Maxine, ‘I haven’t had this much fun since my pager got stuck on vibrate!’  I left Highlands NC this morning (not even sure when - that’s when you know you’re really not in a hurry) headed for Blairsville Georgia and I just never got over 50 mph; one curve after another! It’s like an adult theme park in this area if you have two wheels! Not for the timid rider though; more than once I found myself uttering - Holy Shit! - under my breath.  And I only heard, ‘are you riding by yourself?’ twice today.

Bessie2 and I took 106 South/West out of Highlands NC - known as Dillard Road - and it was a beautifully chilly morning! There’s just nothin like crisp, mountain air to clear the head. I was astounded at the homes along this route - talk about mountain retreats - opulent. And those were the ones I could actually SEE. Highlands is the kind of ritzy summer retreat area where they display ‘yard trash’ in fou fou shops and call it ‘collectibles,’ or ‘primitives,’ and people pay top dollar to own it. Not exactly my kinda crowd, but the Mountain High Lodge was awesome, rate was good, breakfast was ample, and it was all good.

106 connects with 441/23/15 South to Clayton Georgia - and again, the road never straightens out. This is why a person should own a motorcycle, just to ride these roads. 76West takes off towards Blairsville Georgia. Lots of lakes in this area that are just beautiful; I crossed what I think is Lake Burton, or some tributary thereof, and I was aghast at the size of the homes on the shoreline! The boathouses alone were bigger than my little Florida cottage!  76 is known as Lookout Mountain Scenic Highway in this area. I fell in love with Hiawasee Georgia; my house is already for sale, just send the books and artwork and I’ll be happy! Hiawasee is on a huge lake, or series of lakes, and it just seemed like an awesome resort town. I stopped and had coffee at the South Side Cafe; good people.

Copperhead Lodge, Blairsville Georgia
Copperhead Lodge is a wonderful resort, run by bikers for bikers. About 10 miles outside of Blairsville, it sits on a pristine knot of greenery surrounded by forest. More than 20 bikes littered the parking lot, the owners are a husband and wife team; he was out front cleaning his bike, she was hustling the clientele to and from brunch and/or their rooms.  She and I chatted as I checked in; she offered to take me on my own personal tour of the ‘Gauntlet’ tomorrow! I couldn’t be happier.....after my episode on the gravel road near Highlands yesterday, I’m not fond of getting lost again. 
Ahhhhhhh




After settling into my room at the Lodge; I chatted with the owner - who was still cleaning his bike - and decided to ride to Dahlonega - I think the ride on 129/19 was the best one yet today!  Don’t forget to stop at Pappy’s, and Rider’s Hill. Dahlonega is a wonderfully quaint little area; totally suited to all the bikers in the area. I’m not a shopper; but I did scope out the nearest BBQ joint - Smokin Gold BBQ - and the pulled pork with sides of slaw and corn casserole was awesome!  At this point in the day; I was starting to feel all the miles I had put on Bessie2 - 986 - since Friday morning. Cruised the curves one more time heading back to Copperhead Lodge. 

I pulled into my little parking space - right out front of the room! - and within minutes I was surrounded by fully loaded BMW’s - which always remind me of shopping carts! Good people though - and two of them own Harleys:-). 

Looking forward to my guided tour tomorrow of the Gauntlet; I made reservations through Tuesday - forcing myself to take it slow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co