Skip to main content

Summer Road Trip 2014_DayTwo

"Hawgs are runnin' hot today aren't they?"  
Yea buddy...they sure are!

Thats not something I would say, but the Canucks we met at the Mississippi welcome center were just as sweltering as we were on the bikes. They had come down from Ottawa to ride the south, and I'm thinkin' if you don't want to swelter, you should probably pick a more northern route to ride in the summer. Down here, we wear the weather.

We left Panama City with the expectatin of severe weather across our route; thankfully the weather forecasts were all wrong. Only experienced a slight spitting of moisture as we headed west toward Destin and Ft. Walton Beach.  Our plan was to stay on Old 98, a great secondary road...but the beach traffic proved too tedious. Stopped at Destin Beach to show Paul one of the WORLD'S Most Beautiful beaches. Emerald waters, white sugar sand beach....gorgous! Its a little awkward to stand on the beach in jeans, boots, and Under Armor heat gear as well.  We decided to jump on I-10 to skirt Pensacola and Mobile before dropping back down to 90WEST; I-10 has to be one of the dullest interstate rides in the south....with the exception of the bridge across the Mighty Mississippi River.

Just when we thought we were making good time....wham....traffic comes to a complete standstill on the section across Mobile Bay. It was akin to I-4 at rush hour....a slow moving parking lot. It was about this time that somewhen flipped the switch on the sun from a nice, comfy 'Bake,' to a brain blistering "Broil!'  We are suspended above Mobile Bay astride giant beasts pumping out thigh burning heat....and no one is going anywhere. Creeping along at 2mph, holding the clutch in, balancing the bike, and sweat dripping down my back....ya gotta love it.  We felt a small victory when we crossed the Alabama state line, since we had been traveling a day and a half and were still in FLorida!

Not a lot of sightseeing today; when the trip was planned, I knew where - approximately - we had to be in order to meet my daughter and niece on Saturday. We spent so much time wrestling the bikes in traffic that we needed to just roll to Lake Charles, Lousiania by Sunday night. 

Stopped in Gautier Mississippi for lunch; I whipped into a crowded parking lot of a little place called the Country Gentleman. I'm thinking....Mississippi, name like 'Country Gentleman,' theres gonna be shrimp n grits, or fried chicken with mac n cheese, little side of collard greens....nay, nay. The menu was ALL Greek food!!  Gautier is French, coastal Mississippi is about at Southern as you can get, and these people are serving gyros, tzazicki, and pita bread! Seriously?  It was a restaurant with an identity crisis; a rooster-castiron-skillet theme with the occassional fishing net seashell....serving Greek food. Our lunch was tasty though...not the shrimp n grits I had hoped for (because I truly do love Southern food) but way better than the Wendy's across the street (I truly dislike fast food).

Highlight of the day was crossing the Mightly Mississippi River; unfortunately, on I-10 its impossible to stop and take in the majesty of that sight. I've rode up the middle is Mississippi before (the Blues and BBQ tour), and parts of the Natchez Trace...gorgeous. The state is rich in music history with Clarksdale Ms being Ground Zero for the origin of the blues.....can miss the intersection where Robert Johnson sold his soul to the Devil for guitar greatness!

I'm guessing the state of Lousiania borrowed the road construction manual from Pennsylvania! Second worse road I've been on!!  I had wrestled Bessie2 all day in heat and traffic, now I was slamming along on beat up, uneven, stipped and wavy pavement....my alread damaged shoulder was screaming, my legs were vibrating as badly as the bike, and my ass was numb. Five hundred miles is when a rider hits the wall....that wall that says, 'hey dumbass, its time to quit!'  Finally saw the sign for Lake Charles, another 53 miles and it felt like a small victory in this day of interstate travel. 

Thank you GOd for safe travel today and no thunderstorms!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co