Skip to main content

Summer Road Trip_2014 DayThree

Sunrise over Lake Charles Louisiana is choked with chemical and refinery plants belching thick smoke out over the water...not exactly a pretty site. We are well rested, the bikes are clean (never leave the parking lot without cleaning my bike...I usually do it right after climbing off for the day, but I was toooo tired last night), and we are ready for Texas.

One exit past the hotel, we leave I-10 and pick up 90 west; yet another wonderful old road that the interstate has sucked the life out of.  There is a 'gentlemens club,' with a sign out front advertising 25-30 sexy women....I'm guessing if you can find 25 sexy young women in Lake Charles, you would be lucky, let alone ones willing to dance topless off highway 90.  And I was fascinated with the varying 25-30; perhaps after daylight and you had a chance to sober up, at least five would not be so sexy afterall.  Funky old 'filling' stations sit abandoned, or lay claim to antique stores selling bits and pieces of a bygone era. I-10 should have been an indication of the condition of the secondary road....but nooooo, I had to do it. The road is a challenge, but you have to overlook that and enjoy the ancient oaks that shade the asphalt and the sweet, fragrant scent  of magnolia blossoms.  

Before I had a chance to sample the homemade boudin balls....we had crossed the Texas state line! The sign at the welcome center cautioned us to beware of snakes...which reminded me of the trip my girls and I took around the Gulf coast to see the sea turtles. We are went out to Galveston Island to camp, the girls were all excited to swim, we head over the dunes and on the boardwalk are signs warning of poisonous snakes!! 

We took SR69 north out of Beaumont; decided we didn't want to go through Houston, just up and over on backroads to Austin.  The posted speed limit in Texas is 75mph....either a.) Texans got somewhere to be and want to get there, or b.) they prefer all visitors just get around the great state as fast as they can. Even on the secondary roads we squeezed the throttle and hauled as. 

SR69 is a wonderful ride through the SamHouston National Forest. As soon as we connected with SR190 west, I spied Manny's Shrimp Boat restaurant...their specialty was Boudin Balls! Since I didn't get any in Lousiana, I honked at Paul and motioned for him to turn in quick! What a great choice; obviously a Cajun transplanted to east Texas! Funky decor, great waiter, decent prices. Theres spicey, then theres Cajun spicey!  The Boudin balls had my eyelids sweating! Standing in the parking lot reapplying sunblock, I hear thunder coming from the direction we intend to go....we dug out rain gear and checked the radar....the severe weather we missed yesterday caught up with us! The sky was extremely dark and the wind was blowing in sideways, not to mention the temp had dropped several degrees!  We set out into the belly of the beast...I really hate riding in the rain, but sometimes its necessary. Cautiously we made our way across Lake Livingston and down to Huntsville. By the time we got to Bryan and College Station the sun was out, we stopped to take off rain gear (once you are damp and the sun is out, you start feeling like a leftover in damp rain gear).   I check my phone messages and realize I am being asked to interview for a Reading Coach position on Tuesday!!  I have to call and let the secretary know its not gonna happen!

21 and 290 west are fabulous roads; we trucked along at 75 mph and rarely saw another vehicle...didn't even see any bikes on the road!  Rolling hills, vast ranchland, and tiny towns like Dime Box and Old Dime Box which were not even wide spots in the road, they just warranted a slower than 75mph speed limit! And the best was the Whoop Stop just before we hit 290 west to Austin.  

We arrive at the Holiday Inn in Austin in intermittent rain; anxious for a hot shower and some Texas BBQ at Stubbs in downtown Austin!  Thank you God for safe travel today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co