Skip to main content

Summer Road Trip 2014_Day Eleven

"Well Toto, we are certainly not in Kansas anymore!'

I set my alarm for 3am, thinking we would get a super early start and possibly get a few miles down the road befor the wind kicked up.....nay, nay on both counts. We were so beat and exhausted that the alarm was an unwelcome interruption to a much needed rest...I hit snooze and three more times we decided it just couldn't be done. Both of us dreaded facing that wind again today, but there was no way around it. Cowboy up and ride.

It was not nearly as bad as yesterdays wind/ride, but the wind followed us in varying degrees all the way to Illinois. The Eastern part of Kansas with the bright green hills and deep ravines was suggestive of the Emerald City...we could have used a Wizard as well to cast a spell and make the wind subside.

This kind of balls to the wall ride is not my cup of tea; I learned to ride hard and about five months into my tutelege....I decided I didn't want to travel this way....all interstate, see how many miles we can put on today....no thanks. But when the situation calls for 'getting there,' I am not afraid to ride, and ride hard....which is what we have done the past two days.  I prefer the backroads, the meandering, the twisty turnys, and the wonderful diners, driven-ins and dives you encounter along the way. We have not had the luxury of even one stop for sightseeing.  I saw several signs for 'scenic' byway through Kansas (does that mean there is less wind....and what the hell is there to see in Kansas anyway??).  There is actually a historic site in Topeka Kansas that I took my girls to see several years ago. The former Monroe Elementary School where little Linda Brown set in motion the whole civil rights movement in terms of integration of public schools. The school is a National Park and Museum honoring those brave families (there were five) and the attorneys who fought for integration and established Brown vs. Board of Education.

We cross the Missouri River and if I could have done a Happy Dance, I would have...instead I did an energetic fist pump as we said 'farewell' to the state of Kansas and its hellacious wind.  Kansis City Missouri is known for its blues, jazz, and barbeque....but will we get to experience any of that?? NO. It is also the home of Mark Twain...will we get to see any of those historical places? NO.  It is also the birthplace of the beginning the end of slavery (at least thats how the billboard along 70 spins it)....but will we get a chance to see it?? NO.  I am just sick we will miss all of the sites....and then theres Route 66 in Missouri, which I have never done.....and I won't be doing it now either...someday, someday.

As the miles rolled past and the monotony set it, I found myself getting angrier and angrier at my Dad. With the question still looming large and unanswered...why??  My Dad always loved hearing about my travels, especially on Bessie....I will never tell him another road trip adventure and that makes me sad.  

We crossed the Missouri RIver again as we got closer to Columbia...tried to decide if we wanted to roll all the way to Muncie.....after fighting the traffic around St. Louis (and I didn't even get to see the Arch!) we decided it just wasnt that important to get there tonight. Headed off I-70 at Highland Illinois...I know I'm getting closer to home because there is corn as far as the eye can see....and settled in for a much needed shower and rest.

Tomorrow is another day; Thank you God for safe travel today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co