Skip to main content

Aftermath: Stuck in Neutral



Red Rocks Amphitheater outside Denver
I always experience a post-road trip depression of sorts when I return home. Even more so this trip since I had to bury Our Dad in the middle of this summers excursion. Bessie is clean and gleaming in the darkened garage, awaiting my attention…but I’m not inclined to ride anytime soon.

If I believe the words of the Eulogy I wrote – and I do wholeheartedly – then I am practicing acceptance. Monday was the first day I was truly ‘alone,’ after traveling with my partner for three weeks and being surrounded by family and friends during the week in Indiana. Normally, I embrace my time alone, this week….it has been uncomfortable. 

“I don't wanna be the girl who has to fill the silence
The quiet scares me 'cause it screams the truth (Pink)”

The truth is, I am still bewildered by Our Dad’s choice. I awake each morning grateful for the daylight, grateful for the quiet satisfaction of a strong cup of coffee sweetened by my favorite creamer. I anticipate the day ahead regardless of my responsibilities. I value my partner, my daughter, my friends, my students. I look forward to coming home; a beautiful home, filled with laughter and love. I eagerly anticipate the next ride on Bessie, the next book I choose to get lost in, or the next blank page I will fill up with my writing. I cannot fathom the hopelessness that would surround me enough to make a conscience choice to just ‘check out’ of all of the above.

I will miss my Dad’s cards; he sent them almost weekly. Not just to me, but to everyone in his life. Motivational, inspirational, they were a small gift arriving in the mailbox. And they always seemed to arrive at a time when I needed that extra ‘umph’ to my spirit…words of encouragement from my Dad. It makes me sad to realize there will be no more cards.

I will miss the weekly calls to my Dad. He was my biggest fan. Although I had not seen him since last summers road trip, we talked frequently, the last time just before I left on the trip. And we always ended our conversation with ‘I love you.’ For that I am grateful as well. My Dad always loved hearing about my trips, and took great enjoyment in the photos from the trip. Last summer, he bought me a Go=Pro Video Camera for the bike so I could take videos ‘on the road.’ I recorded our decent from the summit of Pikes Peak (forgot about it on the way up!), but I haven’t had the heart to look at it…that was something I would have done with Dad.

This week, I have either been stuck in neutral, or stuck in high gear…no in between, no balance. This morning seems to be one of stuck in neutral, and when that happens, I just allow the feelings to wash over me, hoping the effort will allow me to move on at some point. My Dad always reminded me that I was the resilient one, the one who always met adversity and difficulty head on, not allowing anything to get me down.

“As my soul slides down to die.
How could I lose him?
What did I try?
Bit by bit, I've realized
That he was here with me;
I looked into my father's eyes.
My father's eyes.
I looked into my father's eyes.
My father's eyes (Claption)”



The music will soothe me.
The words will calm me.
The images will remind me.
The laughter and the love will sustain me.
And the memories will comfort my soul.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co