Skip to main content

Summer Road Trip 2016 - Day Three and Four

Leaving Greenville, MS was fairly uneventful yesterday; it was a hot, humid ride across the fertile Mississippi Delta to Arkansas. I think the highlight was the huge bridge across the Mighty Mississippi River, Bessie and I love bridges! A little sad to leave the Delta, it is a spiritual place for any blues lover. 'The blues is the root, everything else is the fruit,' Willie Dixon. The history of music fascinates me. The blues is rooted in our very history, it is truly the only American music, originating from slaves working the fields, passing the arduous existence with field hollers and work songs. Eventually W.C. Handy added the 12 bar guitar chord and the blues were born in the Delta. This being my second trip to the Delta, I'm guessing there will be a few more...maybe Fall or Winter next time! The Summer is insufferable; if I were forced to toil in those fields in that heat and humidity against my will, the over-seerer would just have to shoot me because I wouldn't last ten minutes at hard labor.

The heat continued to plague me into Arkansas. I had planned to spend two days in Hot Springs to ride the many twisty turny Backroads through the Ozarks. Once I got to Hot Springs however, it was akin to I-Drive in Orlando...traffic and tourists. After sitting in traffic and brain boiling heat, I hopped on 270W and declined to stay in Hot Springs. The road reminded me of the Gauntlet in North Georgia; gently rolling, twisty asphalt, not too challenging. Ozarks are nice, would love to return in Fall or Spring.

Bessie and I rolled into Springdale Arkansas and had to 'rough it' in a Double Tree. Seriously, no coffee in the room, no free breakfast....but as it turned out, that was the least of my problems Saturday morning. I begged coffee from the front desk guy, packed the bike and headed out just as the sun was barely up...it was cool! About two exits from the hotel, Bessie's engine light came on, and she went into 'limp mode,' a safety feature that cuts the engine to about 20mph and no throttle, so you can literally 'limp' to safety. Thankfully I was 1/2 mile from an exit and at that early hour on a Saturday, there was very little traffic. I'm not a panicky whining broad in these situations - you can't do what I do on a motorcycle solo if you are - and I immediately got to the side of the exit safely, starting my 'gratitude list' in my head. Grateful that: I wasn't in the middle of Bumfuck AR like yesterday, it's not hot yet, I have AAA, I have money, I have a credit card with a zero balance just for emergencies, I have cell service, I'm safe, no body parts scraped the pavement, and on and on. It can always be worse. 

I have to say a word of apology however to Cortesia (seriously, and I'm guessing at the spelling), the AAA contact. She started asking a series of questions that I assume are standard, but stupid in certain circumstances...procedure takes precedent over common sense:
'Are you safe?'
Yes
'What kind of motorcycle is it?'
Harley Davidson Road King
'What's wrong with it?'
If I knew Cortesia, I wouldn't need a tow.
'What color is it.....is it PINK or other unique features?'
Here is where I lost it....PINK!?! Cortesia, I would die rather than ride a PINK bike! What difference does it make? It's the only motorcycle broke down on Exit 82 off I49 at 6am today! I don't think the tow truck driver will have any trouble finding me?! Distinguishing features or not; its black Cortesia, the only color for a motorcycle!
So I'm sorry for losing my cool momentarily with Cortesia.

The tow was there to my rescue in 40 minutes, nice young biker dude named Ryan. We both needed coffee at that hour so Ryan stopped at Starbucks, my treat. The dealership was just a few miles off the exit, largest in Arkansas and amazing! I gave Ryan a generous tip and said goodbye. It was only 10 minutes till the service department opened and the service manager was great. Born in Clarksdale MS; only a rabid blues fan like me would appreciate the significance of that! Bessie and I were in and out in under an hour; just long enough to finish my large coffee and drop $125 on new apparel. The fix was simple and under $200, I was almost giddy paying the bill! Back on the road by 1030a, I was still perplexed with my thigh searing heat issue.

I've had the Road King for three years, the cc pumps out lots of heat, that is just the nature of the beast I ride. But it has never blistered my leg; rode up to Nova Scotia last summer, two summers ago out to Colorado ( west Texas is hot in July) and the heat was not a problem. I prop my feet on my highway pegs while cruising, removing my leg from the heat. So what variable did I introduce to the equation on this trip that wasn't present on previous trips?! My friend and Math teacher, Bobby Burns would appreciate my ability to apply my rudimentary math skills to solving the problem. 

My undergrad degree is in Psychology where I learned several theories that I use almost everyday. Piagets theory of child development, Skinners classical conditioning for behavior management, Maslows hierarchy ( I'm closer to that pinnacle of self actualization than I've ever been Thank You), and Occams Razor ( or to use my two years of Latin, lex parsimoniae, the law of parsimony). It is a line of reasoning that says the simplest answer is often correct. I look down, and realize the variable is the new thigh bag I bought at Bike Week and haven't used until this trip! The bag is a military kinda bag that clips around my waist, then around my thigh, it keeps everything I need at my fingertips. I wear it on my right leg because I'm right handed, it's also the side all the heat gets pumped out. I realized THE BAG WAS TRAPPING THE HEAT !! I found the first exit, jumped off Bessie, switched my bag to the left thigh ( left leg is also the shifter leg, didn't really want the bag on the busy leg...but...) and problem solved! I didn't get that expensive formal education for nothing. 

Life is good, we roll west tomorrow.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

Summer Road Trip 2014_Day Eight: Life is Short

The shrill sound of my cell phone at 4am Mountain Time jolted me from a deep, tired sleep. It was my brother delivering the startling news that our Dad was dead. We had just arrived in Colorado Springs, my daughter had just arrived in Denver where my Niece lives. One deliberate (or random) act can change the course of life itself. He called 911, laid down in the bed he had shared with my Mother for nearly 50 years, placed the .22 pistol under his chin, and chose to end his life, leaving those of us who love him to wonder 'why?' It is impossible to place logic on such a selfish, illogical act.  I was speechless when my Brother delivered the news, he too was in such shock that the details came over the wireless connection as matter-of-fact. My Dad was a man who seemingly had it all; a loving family, three successful children, six awesome grandchildren, a comfortable retirement, a nice home, a dedicated church family, and good health. He left a note, he left detailed instructi