Skip to main content

Summer Road Trip 2016- Day Five and Six

Unfortunately I was not able to stick around in St Jospeh MO and tour the Psychiatric Museum; another time perhaps. I had planned to be in Rapid City Sunday night, but I was still four hours behind as a result of my need for repairs Saturday. 

The ride north to Sioux Falls felt interminable; I needed to feel like my goal was in sight. After I stopped for lunch I realized I had lost my drivers license somewhere! I always travel with my passport, and my two pieces of plastic have my photo on them...it could always be worse. I would deal with it when I settled for the evening. I rounded Sioux Falls, lots of construction on the roads, but after the 80mph speed limit from St City to Sioux Falls, the 55mph was a respite. Once I hit 90 west, I felt as though I was finally 'on my way' in spite of the fact I had been traveling for five days! 

If anyone thinks it is too crowded with humans where they live, they just need to visit the Great Plains states. So many wide open spaces that stretch to the horizon and beyond. Vast farmlands as far as the eye can see; the scrumptious smell of fresh cut hay. I make the decision to travel only as far as Mitchell SD, less than 350 miles. The only 'attraction' is the Corn Palace downtown; obligatory but boring. I scored a bag of caramel corn for later so all was not lost. My riding gear needed laundering desperately, so I spend the eve writing and doing laundry. Nothing exciting.

Bessie and I get an early start; there is a lot to see in the Black Hills area. The air was blissfully cool, requiring two jackets, full gloves, and my face mask. It's over 300 miles to the Rapid City area. 240 cuts off I90 before Wall SD, looping through the Badlands. I feel at peace among rocks, there is an energy that emanates from the prehistoric formations that crop up out of the South Dakota plains. I have visited the Canadian Badlands in southern Alberta as well. The park wasn't too crowded at all on a Monday morning; I cruised the loop, stopping a couple of times to admire the view and snap photos. 

My stop at Wall Drug was a little disappointing; way too touristy for my choosing. I had lunch, bought a magnet and headed down the road. I followed the signs for Mt Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Monument located in the Blackhills. Great ride and more rocks! Outside of the little town of Keystone, the road winds up into the Blackhills, then !boom! You round a curve and there it is, four carved faces in the stone. There is a pull out to take photos, I wish I would have stopped there to snap my selfie, but instead, I forked over $11, circled the lot looking for parking, trucked up stairs and jostled elbow to elbow with tourists to get an unencumbered view of the mountain. That's it, and the line for ice cream was intolerable. I'm not a fan of crowded, touristy areas. I headed out to see the Crazy Horse Monument, which has intrigued me since I first read about the Lakota Tribe. No federal  funds are accepted and the private land is considered sacred by the Lakota. Rocks, sacred, but was drawn to the site.

The property houses the Indian Museum of North America, plan to stay awhile if you visit. The monument itself is not much to see, although the sheer size of the stone outcropping where the sculpting is taking place is a leviathan on the landscape. The museum is packed with memorabilia, original manuscripts , beautiful beaded authentic clothing, jewelry and photos of what life on the plains was like. I spent too much time in the bookstore (duh), and as I made my purchase I heard a crack of thunder. There had not been any clouds present when I walked into the museum! I headed toward the parking lot and the heavens opened up; cold , heavy rain that hurled pea size hail down upon us. I unlocked my saddlebag and fished out my rain jacket as I'm getting pelted. I pulled my other jacket out and threw it over the camera pack since I didn't have time to put covers on my packs, then ran back to the museum. Once it stopped, I dumped ice pellets out of my helmet, packed the soggy jacket, and sat on a very wet seat. As luck would have it, Bessie and I got about 5 miles down the road and came right back into the hail storm again! Thankfully there wasn't a lot of traffic on 16, because there is nowhere to pull over, and I was blinded by rain. Ten miles from Rapid City, the sun was shining fiercely and I started to dry out!

Great Riding through, I vow to come back when my Wingman can join me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

Summer Road Trip 2014_Day Eight: Life is Short

The shrill sound of my cell phone at 4am Mountain Time jolted me from a deep, tired sleep. It was my brother delivering the startling news that our Dad was dead. We had just arrived in Colorado Springs, my daughter had just arrived in Denver where my Niece lives. One deliberate (or random) act can change the course of life itself. He called 911, laid down in the bed he had shared with my Mother for nearly 50 years, placed the .22 pistol under his chin, and chose to end his life, leaving those of us who love him to wonder 'why?' It is impossible to place logic on such a selfish, illogical act.  I was speechless when my Brother delivered the news, he too was in such shock that the details came over the wireless connection as matter-of-fact. My Dad was a man who seemingly had it all; a loving family, three successful children, six awesome grandchildren, a comfortable retirement, a nice home, a dedicated church family, and good health. He left a note, he left detailed instructi