Skip to main content

Embrace Your Capabilities, Honor Your Limitations

Long ago I learned to embrace my capabilities and honor my limitations especially as it pertains to two wheels. After clicking off the last four states and crossing into Washington, I should of felt euphoric. I cried instead. Right there on the bluff overlooking the Columbia River, I sobbed. 

I earned a few more items on my 'capabilities' checklist during this journey. Pretty much nothing I cannot do on two wheels. I also have a logical ending for my book, which has given me a tremendous sense of relief as a writer. I can now get busy and put it all together; most good writers know where the end of their book will be before they began, I didn't have that awareness until today.  I also hit a wall with my limitations; the trip has been long, it has been arduous in the timeframe I established. It has been more like a full time job than a destination cruise. I have missed my wingman; when you finally find that life partner, it is difficult to go back to solo.

I literally turned a few corners on this journey; metaphorically as well. I made the decision to ship Bessie back to Florida. It wasn't easy; I felt as though I was giving in, then I heard that rational self that resides deep inside of me whisper, , 'honor your limitations.' I accomplished what I set out to do on this trip, ride all 48 states. Done. Checked off the Bikeit List. Shipping Bessie home will give us both a break and the added bonus, I will get to spend a few extra days with my Wingman before he gets shipped out again. I was going to write about a long list of validations and rational for my decision, but quite simply, I don't have to do that anymore. Suffice it to say, those who love me were ecstatic when I informed them of my decision. I no longer choose to live with the dis-ease in my life.


My Wingman arrives on Saturday and we fly to Anchorage for two weeks of travel, two days on rented bikes. Then we both fly home in air controlled comfort, rather than 10 days of brutal heat and endless asphalt.

"The only Zen you find on the tops of mountains is the Zen you bring there."  ~ Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

Summer Road Trip 2014_Day Eight: Life is Short

The shrill sound of my cell phone at 4am Mountain Time jolted me from a deep, tired sleep. It was my brother delivering the startling news that our Dad was dead. We had just arrived in Colorado Springs, my daughter had just arrived in Denver where my Niece lives. One deliberate (or random) act can change the course of life itself. He called 911, laid down in the bed he had shared with my Mother for nearly 50 years, placed the .22 pistol under his chin, and chose to end his life, leaving those of us who love him to wonder 'why?' It is impossible to place logic on such a selfish, illogical act.  I was speechless when my Brother delivered the news, he too was in such shock that the details came over the wireless connection as matter-of-fact. My Dad was a man who seemingly had it all; a loving family, three successful children, six awesome grandchildren, a comfortable retirement, a nice home, a dedicated church family, and good health. He left a note, he left detailed instructi