Skip to main content

Summer Road Trip 2016- Day Two

On March 7, 1965 I was 10 years old. I remember watching the evening news with my grandparents; violent images of white people inflicting brutal harm to peaceful black Civil Rights activists fighting for voting rights. My Grandma put her hands to her face and exclaimed, 'It's awful, just awful.' In hindsight, I believe that moment shaped my immature sense of social justice. The event would be known as 'Bloody Sunday,' and it took place on the Edmund Pettus bridge as the marchers - Dr King leading them- tried to cross the bridge on a march to Montgomery Alabama, the State Capitol.

Today Bessie and Me rode the route from Montgomery to Selma, a National Historic byway, and stopped at the bridge in Selma. Rural Mississippi is lush and fecund, with small towns seemingly trapped in the 1950's. Especially Selma; many buildings abandoned, Windows bordered up. The storefronts seem to struggle. A Rexall Drug, Tulips-a shop selling church clothes ( literally), and the old St James Hotel trying to attract tourists, like me, who come to gaze at a piece of history. The area near the bridge has been fashioned into a boardwalk of sorts, with benches that over look the river and bridge. Unfortunately all the surrounding buildings are boarded up, their decaying facade almost painful to see. I sit quietly on one of the benches, recalling the news that evening long ago in 1965. I can hear the shouts, the screams, the stomping of horses hooves in the bricks as State Troopers charge the peaceful protestors, preventing them from crossing the bridge.

I'm disheartened to realize that in 2016, the violence is still present, some of the faces have changed; to the black faces we have added brown, Muslim, gay, and female as the recipients of that violence. I say a short prayer, climb back astride Bessie and hopped on I-20W, taking me around Meridian and Jackson Mississippi. As far as interstates go, 20 wasn't so bad. Very little traffic, nice clean rest areas, and large portions of the interstate are lined with magnolia trees in full bloom! Twenty miles either side of Jackson however, there is much needed roadwork in several places. I rode over 300 miles across Mississippi today and did not see ONE state or county cop, until I got to Greenville and there was a funeral procession! Amazing.

I connected with 49N, part of the Delta Blues Trail. 49 runs through rural towns like, Floral, Pocahontas, and Yazoo City. Tiny shotgun houses are scattered along the fields where decrepit front porches still support the fine art of 'porch sitting.' The heat and humidity hang heavy over the fields. About 20 miles south of my destination - Indianola - I see my camera back pack fly off my luggage rack and tumble on the asphalt behind me. The shoulder is pure gravel, nowhere to pull off the asphalt, fortunately there was no car behind me. I pull into a crossover point, park Bessie, and go jogging back a 1/8 of a mile at least, to where my poor backpack lies bereft on the pavement. It's a 100 degrees and I'm jogging in full road gear, helmet and all. I strap the pack back on the luggage rack and head toward Indianola.

The B.B. King Museum is a funky, rusted out industrial complex just off 49. The second I switched off Bessie, I could hear BB. His music is blasted all day long at the museum, inside and out. I spent a leisurely hour or so, an air conditioned respite from the heat, engrossed in the history of the Delta Blues and Riley B. Kings rise to stardom. He is buried there, next to his museum, in a beautiful Memorial Courtyard, his tour bus waits in the parking lot, now a museum piece instead of a working musicians mode of transportation. All of the Grammys are on display and several versions of 'Lucille.' This area of Mississippi is rich in blues history; one of my first trips on two wheels was a ride north on 61, Blues Alley and Clarksdale, Ground Zero for the Blues.

In search of a hotel before it gets any later, I take 80W to Greenville....I spy a Holiday Inn ( no Hampton) so I'm roughing it tonight. I'm drenched w sweat and looking forward to a shower.  The hotel is swarming with women tennis players, I guess there is a tournament in little ole Greenville Mississippi. My leg is fried - literally - from the heat pumping out of my catalytic converter, ouch. I'm ready to head north and cooler weather.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

Summer Road Trip 2014_Day Eight: Life is Short

The shrill sound of my cell phone at 4am Mountain Time jolted me from a deep, tired sleep. It was my brother delivering the startling news that our Dad was dead. We had just arrived in Colorado Springs, my daughter had just arrived in Denver where my Niece lives. One deliberate (or random) act can change the course of life itself. He called 911, laid down in the bed he had shared with my Mother for nearly 50 years, placed the .22 pistol under his chin, and chose to end his life, leaving those of us who love him to wonder 'why?' It is impossible to place logic on such a selfish, illogical act.  I was speechless when my Brother delivered the news, he too was in such shock that the details came over the wireless connection as matter-of-fact. My Dad was a man who seemingly had it all; a loving family, three successful children, six awesome grandchildren, a comfortable retirement, a nice home, a dedicated church family, and good health. He left a note, he left detailed instructi