Skip to main content

#Scattered _ Day 10

"Della, Tish and Ann were a little quiet today while I enjoyed the awesomeness of the Texas Hill Country."


Fredricksburg, Texas and the Three Twisted Sisters = 250+/- miles
Mountain Home, Texas to Coppell, Texas = 320 miles

Tuesday morning was clear and cool. I cruised out of Fredricksburg on Highway 16 towards Kerrville. So many roads in the Hill Country, so little time! The Good 'Ole Texas Loop takes the traveler from Kerrville to Fredricksburg to Leakey and back to Kerrville for 150 miles of easy curves and beautiful scenery. My Wingman and I did that loop six years ago. The Gruene-Fredricksburg - Bandera Loop is 230 miles down towards San Antonio on the Bandera leg. If you travel to the Hill Country to ride, make sure you plan to stay at least three days!


My goal today was to tackle the Three Twisted Sisters; the Texas Hill Country's most famous trio. Farm roads 335, 336, and 337 west of Fredricksburg. I rode Route 16 south from Fredricksburg to Kerrville then into Medina. My early start meant my favorite place - The Apple Store - was closed. There would be no delicious apple pie with cinnamon sauce for me today. A sign was posted that The Apple Store was only offering carry out anyway; I would have eaten that pie standing on the curb! Alas, another trip to the Hill Country is in order sometime in the future!

West of Farm Road 337 towards Vanderpool, Leakey and Camp Wood. The Lone Star Motorcycle Museum is just south of Vanderpool. Just outside of Leakey is the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop and Bent Rim Grill. A great stop for food and fuel. Farm Road 337 dips and rolls through pristine ranch land; the steepness of the hills are astonishing! A steep decline to the bottom where the flood gauges warn the traveler of flash floods, then a steep incline to the next peak. I wondered what I would do if I came over the rise and there was water at the bottom as the steepness of the asphalt would make it very difficult to make a three point turn and head back! No 'break down lane' either on the Twisted Sisters, just a thin strip of gravel before the scrub begins. I embraced the beauty of the surrounding area rather than think about the possible treachery of the route. I stop at the only break out area as the elevation climbs and see the sign that warns  “Caution Next 12 Miles, Since Jan. 2006, 13 Killed in Motorcycle Related Crashes.” I was grateful that on this day, I encountered no other bikers. Especially the crotch rockets that love to take risks. 

I stopped short to allow three turkeys (hens) with about a dozen little chicks to cross the road. They are Rio Grande wild turkeys in this area. Mule deer are everywhere! I saw dozens of little spotted fawns, their racks covered in velvet and already gigantic! On what was a private reserve, several buffaloes graced peacefully. Many sheep and goats grazed on the sweet grasslands. The curves on 337 are gentle and not too technically difficult; some 20 mph curves but no 15-10 mph switchbacks. 

At Camp Wood, 55 connects to the next Sister 335. The elevation starts to climb, the signage was a little thin warning of the next curve, so I traveled slowly - again grateful no other travelers were with me. 335 is like a roller coaster; akin to the Incredible Hulk at Islands of Adventure! I want to throw my legs out to the side and shout 'Weeeeeee' all the way up and down the steep hills.

At 41, I went east to the next Sister 336. This must be the wildest sister of the three; she bucks and snorts and presents one challenge after another with twisty curves and steep elevation. Probably the most technical of the three Sisters. My focus was on the asphalt; I hesitated taking my eyes off the road to drink in the incredible scenery. Although I could have rode all day, my family was expecting me in Coppell before the end of the day. I hit 83 north and needed gas, I cruised into the Carven Store outside of Mountain Home, Texas. The store was established in 1935 and continues to offer a variety of sundries and honest - to - god gas pumps where you have to crank the handle to start the pump. The owners have added a 'biker shop' with leather items and T-shirts that commemorate the Twisted Sisters. I bought a long sleeved T that claims 'Ride the Sisters If You Dare!'

I talked with the kid behind the counter at the store and got directions for backroads up to Ft. Worth. After a few missed turns I connect with State Route 377 that took me all the way into the outskirts of Ft. Worth. Five blissful hours out of the Hill Country on backroads. At Granbury, Texas the traffic started to get heavy. I stopped to check my maps and plugged my cousins address in; now would start the snarl of traffic and endless overpasses that is Dallas, Texas. Siri guided me through the mess of traffic around Dallas/Ft. Worth airport to the Coppell exit. Out of the bucolic surroundings of the Hill Country and I'm smack dab in well ordered, manicured suburbia of Coppell and into the open arms of my cousin Lisa, her husband Ron and their son Andrew!

Debi Tolbert Duggar is the author of 'Riding Soul-O'
Part Memoir, Part Travelogue, Part Spiritual Salvation
Available at Bessieandme.com and online wherever books are sold

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co