Skip to main content

#Scattered_Day 13



New Orleans, LA to Tallahassee, Fl = 385 miles
Tallahassee to Home = 277

"There seemed to be no cure for loneliness save only being alone." ~ John Steinbeck: Travels with Charley

Long distance riding is fertile ground for daydreaming and thinking. In all my years I have not found any other activity that produces more thought than riding my motorcycle for 500 miles or so. I embrace the aloneness of solo travel; even when I'm with my Wingman, I am 'alone' on the motorcycle. I've been asked 'do you wear a headset so you can talk to each other?' NO. We will talk when we stop.

I know people who listen to music while riding, not me. First of all, the music sounds horrible with 70 mph wind rushing around you. I'm too much of a music fan to ruin the melody or backbeat. Secondly, music tends to produce a little too much melancholy for me while I'm riding solo; too many memories of people, places, and experiences that I prefer to savor with just the music. Lastly, I prefer the roar of my V-Twin and the rush of the wind over any song on my playlist. 

Five hundred miles on two wheels translates to roughly 10 hours in the saddle; give or take an hour for gas stops and pee breaks. Ten hours is a significant amount of time to think. I have recreated entire scenes from my life. Scenes with dialogue, vivid topography, and an ending that is satisfying to me. As all scenes from my past don't always end well or in my favor. And then there are the scenes you wish you would have handled differently. I can always correct that in my head. Thinking and riding provide ample opportunity to correct conversations - yes, I will play my part and the other person's part - and have them progress the way they should have at the time they took place.  I've written long, detailed letters to people that I will never actually write, let alone send. The process is cathartic.

I have created future scenes with my daughters which may or may not take place. I have written the dialogue for future conversations with my grandchildren just in case I'm gone and they read this. I have written short stories in my head, chuckling and sometimes laughing out loud at my witty sense of humor. I have created future scenes so vivid I am brought to tears with the possibility. I have dredged up memories so painful I sob, creating the need to pull over, compose myself and wipe the tear stains off my sunglasses. Why? Why would anyone want to do this? Because I'm alive; with dreams, memories, regrets, and possibilities. And I'm pounding the ground on interstate travel; if I were on a challenging backroad I wouldn't have time for the deep, futuristic, archeological type pondering.

I felt more physical discomfort on this long haul than previous trips; yes, I'm another year older and felt it at times. The hip hurts and the knees start to ache; but is that age or 500 plus miles in 100 degree heat? I vote for the latter. As always, I questioned my sanity a time or two on this trip. My daughter brought me to my knees though with her social media post. Exactly when I needed to hear it. I simply don't give up; never have, never will. I've faltered many times, but you would be hard pressed to find 'quit' in my vocabulary or past behavior. Yes, I've been divorced, but that doesn't equate to 'quitting.' It takes two to make a marriage work. 

My goal on this trip was to think about my new book project #Scattered and prompt the characters to 'talk' to me. I realized there is more of me in the character Della than I originally intended. I 'experienced' Sedona; now I can write about Della's skepticism and create accurate descriptions of the area. My character Tish is always vocal, it was the character Ann that was very quiet. And I'm not gonna lie, my other goal on this trip was simply to move away from home base to gain a fresh perspective. Wind therapy works every time.

Bessie and me rolled into our driveway exactly 14 days from the start of our journey; a little over 6,000 miles. Although I keep a daily mileage count (for future tax purposes) I've never focused on the miles, only the smiles and the experiences along the way. Grateful that my higher power watched over us and brought us home safely.

Debi Tolbert Duggar is the author of 'Riding Soul-O'
Part Memoir, Part Travelogue, Part Spiritual Salvation
Available at Bessieandme.com and online wherever books are sold


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co