Skip to main content

#Scattered_Day 3

Shreveport, LA to Waterford, OK  = 458 miles

"Della walked into Bella Via restaurant, stopped briefly at the hostess table and scanned the room for Tish and Ann. Ann waved enthusiastically from a table tucked in the far corner. Della strolled over, stopping briefly to speak to an acquaintance seated near the entrance. Air kisses all around for her two dearest friends Tish, and Ann. This lunch was to review the details for their trip along Route 66 to carry Bree's ashes to Sedona.

Della (as she sipped the Chardonnay she ordered with her fresh tuna nicoise) : So...are both of you packed? Remember, less is more on the bikes.
Tish (who ordered the American Cheeseburger, side of fries) : Do you think I should bring a bathing suit? I really hate myself in a bathing suit but a swim would be nice after a long day of riding.
Della: You look fine in a bathing suit; and yes, bring it.
Ann (who remained relatively silent while picking at the rosemary garlic bread): Will there be mountains?
Della: What?
Ann: Mountains. Will we need to ride over mountains? I can't do mountains.
Della: Ann darling, I'm fairly sure it is impossible to traverse this vast country of ours and avoid elevation. What is your fear of mountains?
Ann: I need to see what's coming.

(I'm just shoveling sand...)

Leaving Shreveport was not a problem for me this morning. As I scooped my raisin bran from the paper bowl using a plastic spork (staying in a hotel during COVID19 is almost like camping) I vowed to take it slow and easy. I made the decision to ride up to Dallas and around to connect with 35W and on to Amarillo where I would pick up 40W. 

I love Texas! I've been traveling to the Lone Star state since I was a babe in arms to visit kin. The day turned hot very quickly. On one of my hydration stops I checked the route around Dallas knowing it would be six lanes of traffic. I've navigated every major city in the lower 48 (well, also Anchorage, but Anchorage is not that big of a city at all) on two wheels and I still don't like it. Fortunately, it was post rush hour and the traffic moved fairly well. But the feeder roads are CRAZY in Texas, I moved over to exit and realized before it was too late that I was on 35N; no matter, I decided to roll with it rather than risk life and limb. Very shortly I'm in Oklahoma; I didn't plan to be in Oklahoma (its about 240 miles out of the way to pick up 40W). But serendipity being my soulmate, I realized I could connect with Route 66 which is the route Della, Tish and Ann take to carry Bree's ashes to Sedona.

I rode north into southeastern Oklahoma, which is a corner of the state I've never been in. I love the wide open spaces; where the horizon meets the sky for as far as the eyes can see. The area is known as a prairie.  Not sure what was growing in the fields but it was all beautiful autumn colors...waves and waves of  bright yellow wildflowers and what looked like wheat or some type of grain. 

Route 66 was one of my first cross country trips nearly 12 years ago. Oklahoma has more miles of the original Route 66 than any other state. Once around Oklahoma City, Route 66 runs adjacent to 40W...literally. Its possible to jump on/off 40 to site see along the original Mother Road. I settled this eve in Weatherford and plan to hop on/off tomorrow to do a little sightseeing as I continue my trek to Sedona. 

And the wind turbines! I love the giant windmills that dot the slightest elevation out west! They seem magical somehow...other worldly almost. On one of the road trips I did with my daughters (four wheels not two) when they were young, we were in west Texas the firs time I saw one. I pulled over to the side of the road so we could watch - the lazy turning of the blades when the wind is still and the wildly spinning blades when the wind is furious - taking one photo after another. We traveled all out west and each time I saw a crop of the windmills, I stopped to take photos "Mom! We don't need anymore photos!" I resisted the urge today.


"Della drove home thinking how in the hell am I going to navigate cross country without any mountains?"

Debi Tolbert Duggar is the author of the book 'Riding Soul-O'
Part Memoir, Part Travelogue, Part Spiritual Salvation
Available at Bessieandme.com or online wherever books are sold






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co