Skip to main content

#Scattered_Day 9

"Della was counting on this cross country trip to help pull her life into a little tighter perspective. She needed inspiration for a new book project. Her love life was in tatters, and frankly she was not enjoying this phase of her life. She half listened to Tish ramble on about alternative routes. She watched Ann as she nodded, not saying anything about Tish's suggestions. Della wondered how she was going to keep it together, while accommodating the idiosyncrasies of her two friends. "

(I'm just shoveling sand...)

Van Horn Texas to Ft. Stockton Texas then several hundred miles on backroads in the beautiful Texas Hill Country = 566 miles

Van Horn Texas is literally a wide spot in the road off I-10 about 120 miles  east of El Paso. It was too early to stop (I'm a stickler for 500 mile days) when I came through El Paso. The next hotel was in Van Horn; I can almost clock the pain in my hip by the odometer...420 miles and my right hip starts with a dull ache. Time to look for a Hampton Inn!

Restless sleep and I'm up several times looking at the clock. I packed the bike and checked the route; planned to stay on I-10 until Ft. Stockton. Both Saturday and Sunday on I-10 in west Texas, I traveled over 200 miles before reaching another gas station. If you travel out west (or any remote area) make sure you know the gas stops. I've never run out of gas on my bike but I've come close. If you have a 5 gallon tank its a little easier, some of the smaller bikes you really need to plan! I actually found gas more plentiful on the backroads than on the interstate in west Texas.

Stopped for breakfast at the Sagebrush Café in Ft. Stockton. Had a scrumptious meal of  TexMex style 'migas,' eggs, tortilla chips, tomatoes, onions, and chorizo topped with salsa. YUM! I gassed up and hopped on 190 east, grateful to be off the Interstate. Love those wide open spaces but the sparse traffic zipping past ( posted speed limit is 80 mph which means in the middle of no where vehicles are doing 100 mph) and the monotony was settling in. When the monotony of the ride sets in my mind wanders down the wrong road. I felt an emptiness in my heart and a tear or two slip down my cheeks. Time to move my mental energy in a more positive direction.

Texas is so vast and so diverse; the Hill Country is lush farmland, rolling hills, vineyards, and twisty turny roads! This is the first time I have approached the Hill Country from the west; although the 'hills' are apparent just outside of El Paso (and windmills!), the landscape is gently rolling, low scrub brush, pecan and pistachio groves and I believe I saw corn! Small towns like El Dorado, Ozona, Ft. McKavett, and Manard. I took 87 south out of Mason, Texas as I decided I would spend the night in Fredricksburg (Luckenback is just down the road where Waylon, Willie, and the boys hung out). 

I rolled into Fredricksburg past 4pm, ready to shower and walk. Fredricksburg is a tiny little burg that has created a shoppers mecca on their main street; attracting tourists to the hill country and delivering some of the best in terms of funky shops and good restaurants. A couple of neat B&B's are on the main street too. I settled at the Hampton Inn on the very east end of the main drag then walked back several blocks relieving the stiffness in my hip and legs. 

Cowboy leather items, a Lacheese boot store (!), too many jewelry stores (which I proudly walked right on by), kitchen store...I can imagine three or four girlfriends getting together for a 'girls weekend,' which translates to paying exorbitant prices for red casserole dishes, $15 dollar margaritas, and trying to figure out how they can hide the purchase of a pair of Lacheese boots from their husband. I sauntered into the popcorn store for a bag of dill pickle popcorn (not as good as it originally sounded), had a decent avocado/chicken salad in some non-descript TexMex restaurant then walked back to the hotel.

Tomorrow I would tackle the Three Twisted Sisters.

Debi Tolbert Duggar is the author of Riding Soul-O
Part Memoir, Part Travelogue, Part Spiritual Salvation
Available at Bessieandme.com and online wherever books are sold




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan? What Plan?

"Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapters in our lives won't have titles until much later." In the last few months I've been asked from several readers and followers, 'How do you plan your trips?' I also see the question asked numerous times (like over and over and over and over...) on the various biker-related groups on social media.  Penny Tours I confess: I'm not much of a planner! I ride in the spirit of the intrepid Bessie Stringfield, a pioneer of the sport of motorcycling who in 1930 became the first black woman to ride solo across the U.S.. Bessie was notorious for her 'Penny Tours.' She would toss a penny in the air and wherever it landed on her map of the U.S.....that is the direction she would travel. And yes; I've done the Penny Tour many times. Just a few weeks ago in Indiana; I had a 'free' day between events and tossed the penny on the map of Indiana. It landed in the northern part of the state near the

Summer Road Trip 2014_Final Thoughts

I awoke Friday morning exhausted; as if someone had put on boxing gloves and gently but consistently pummeled me from head to toe. I dreaded the long journey ahead of us. Since arriving in Indiana early Wednesday morning, it had been   a whirlwind of responsibilities. Mine were minimal compared to what my brother and sister had already had to do to arrange the funeral, tie up loose ends, and cover all the bases that need covering when a parent dies. After the service and dinner at the church, I think we all felt a foreboding. Our Grandparents were gone,   our Mom was gone, our Dad was gone…..who does the family gather around from this point forward? We were all at loose ends. The trip back to Florida would be another ‘get on the super slab and ride’ kinda trip….the worst. I-75 South is congested with traffic, and the Weather Gods were not going to be in our favor today.   We gulped a cup of coffee, my brother gave me a hug and we TRIED to slip out quietly…

#Scattered: The Hike

Setting the scene: Della, Tish, and Ann have left Chicago on their bikes on a journey west to scatter their friend Bree’s ashes in Sedona. A trip along Route 66 from its origin in Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in L.A. on their motorcycles was the foursomes’ dream. When Bree was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer her dying wish was for her three friends to make the trip in her memory with a stop in Sedona to scatter her ashes among the mystical red rocks. This scene picks up on the three women – Della - who carries Brees’ ashes in her tour pack, Tish and Ann – approximately 300 miles west of Chicago on their first day out. ~ Della thought a little commune with nature would do everyone good. At the previous rest stop (Jesus… how many times would Ann signal she needed to pee?) Della suggested a little side trip to St. Genevieve outside of St. Louis to enjoy a short hike and a stretch.  Ann: Oh! how fun!  Tish: (after a major eye roll in Ann’s direction) Sounds Great! Della tapped the co